help!!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cool dad12

help!!

Post by cool dad12 »

Hi all.my ds always runs out of time for VR test, only get upto to q60 in 55 mts...how cn I improve his speed..
And also spelling nt tht good just started to do freerice is enough or whatelse I cn do??
How cn I improve his concentration...new t o this 11+... Dnt even how thy score them..basically dnt knw much abt it..just want him to do well. Eventhough doing everything I cn but still paniking am i dooing ok??? We come under Birmingham area..
sbarnes

Re: help!!

Post by sbarnes »

May I respectfully suggest you check your spelling before posting as a lesson in itself?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

From our Forum Rules and Etiquette http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=9&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
7. Please post in proper words, not text-speak, and avoid the use of abbreviations that may be unfamiliar to other posters.
cool dad12

Post by cool dad12 »

Apologies for my mistake as i was unaware due to my eagerness to find solutions to my questions.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Hi-how many questions were left ? 20 ?
I would spend some time with your ds to understand how he is tackling each question.There may be a certain type of question in which he is finding difficulty or taking too long to answer.

Then you need to focus on finding a method to speed up-short cuts,use of alphabet,faster reading etc.Then practice.

I think the technique needs to be mastered before you focus on speed.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
doodles

Post by doodles »

To speed ds up I worked out how long he had for each question and then broke out down into chunks -so if it was six seconds per question I have him a minute to do ten questions. This seemed less daunting for him and more achievable. It also became very obvious which type of questions he was struggling with.

Don't worry you have time to work on speed.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The problem with allowing a certain amount of time per question is that some types take much longer than others. We found the IPS 10 question tests very good for practicing speed. My sons tried to beat the time taken for the previous test. There are also some short tests in the shop on here (Tutors I think).

Eta: I don't know when the test is - but at this stage (test end Sep/early Oct) we were concentrating on technique not speed and would have been nowhere near on speed, but in the end they both finished with time to spare.
scary mum
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

B'ham doesn't test traditional VR so I wouldn't worry about increasing speed on traditional vr tests. There's plenty of advice in the B'ham region about the KEG test and see here also...unless you're preparing for KES ?
cool dad12

Post by cool dad12 »

Thanks everyone.
Ds is going for qm test as well as birmingham.first one is in July and second one in September. It seems like we havn't got that much time left for July test.
And diymum what is kes stands for? Sorry new to all this I didnt understand.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

King Edward school in Birmingham; it's the independant school
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now