Catchment for Colchester Royal GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Zoe22

Catchment for Colchester Royal GS

Post by Zoe22 »

We currently live in the havering area but are looking at properties in the Colchester area. I was looking at CRGS for my ds who is in year 4 now (2015 entry). I was wondering if catchment is taken into consideration for admission to CRGS in which case we can expedite our moving, and if it's not, we can let our move coincide with when he starts secondary school.

Ps we're not moving because of schools, so we'd move anyway irrespective of whether he gets a place there or not.

Thanks.
mikedellfarm

Re: Catchment for Colchester Royal GS

Post by mikedellfarm »

CRGS does not use catchment as a consideration for entry currently.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mikedellfarm wrote:CRGS does not use catchment as a consideration for entry currently.

...however, you would need to consider which other schools you would prefer to meet the admissions criteria for, just in case! There is a thread somewhere with advice regarding areas in and around Colchester and school catchment areas.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

In the case of oversubscription places will be offered to the 96 boys scoring highest in the selection tests who have named CRGS as a preferred school and who qualify to be offered a place at the school under the co-ordinated admissions arrangements. If there are applicants with an equal ranking on the School's Order of Merit competing for the last available place, preference will be given to i) a *'looked after' child ii) the applicant living closest to the school by straight line distance as defined by the LA and set out in the Secondary Education in Essex 2012/13 Booklet.

So strictly speaking it ccould make a difference if your DS happened to be in this position - althought the chances must be pretty slim!
Zoe22

Post by Zoe22 »

Thank you so much for your replies.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

[quote][/quote]Sorry, I was just trying to point out - without being too negative - that however brilliant one's DC is, one camou take it for granted that they will definitely be one of the 96. As we only get the CSSE results a couple of weeks before the CAF has to be submitted, it would be a good idea to make sure one has the best chance of getting a place in a good alternative school :). Waiting for results may be too late for this.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Zoe22

Post by Zoe22 »

That's ok toadmum, we've been looking at alternatives anyway. And like I said, our move is independent of his getting in the school anyway. I'd just want to increase the chances for as many of our options as we can.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

:)

This is the thread I was thinking of (you have probably read it already!):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=31436
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now