AS Maths revision

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kit

AS Maths revision

Post by Kit »

If a DC is naturally very good at Maths and Further Maths, is it right that they would require far fewer hours of revision than other subjects? DC hasn't actually started on Maths yet and will be sitting the AS in June.
I am a bit concerned that things may unravel but DC seems to think it is all manageable without too much revision :shock: as the lessons "are quite easy". I don't know whether to start being a bit more hands-on or not.
Guest55

Re: AS Maths revision

Post by Guest55 »

Work through ALL the past papers: many are online on the exam board website.

http://www.edexcel.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if Edexcel - you need to practise examples - one or two papers a week at least.
KB

Post by KB »

Endorsement of Guest55!
if they can't do a question I suggest working through that part of text book and doing a few exam style/practice questions before trying again.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Thank you both- I passed on your advice and DC is (finally) having a go at one this evening!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Kit - I am a GS Maths teacher - the classwork can seem easy but they need to be able to get high marks under time pressure!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Video recordings of the C1, C2 & C3 modules for all of the exam boards are available from the Further Maths Support web site

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/onlinerevision.php

Very good material

Most schools are registered for other resource materials and revision courses as well
nts

Post by nts »

Being good at Maths in normal class does not mean DC will be good at getting required grade in exams, especially under timed and exam condition. I think at least 1 paper per exam per week that s/he will be taking and should be done under exam condition, not in front of TV. They can't retake next Jan so the AS scores must be spot on if they want to go to a decent university.
Kit

Post by Kit »

It's great to have some extra opinions about the importance of past papers, and even better from teachers, for extra gravitas! Having done the past paper this week, DC has now decided that the teachers haven't yet finished covering new work for the exam (not sure that sounds right? The exam is the end of May, maybe DC missed some work) and DC isn't 100% sure what is included in the syllabus :roll: Cue big wake up call, just in time hopefully.

Thanks Ken for the link- the revision sessions look perfect . I had no idea these kind of resources were available to pupils for free.
I'll see if I can persuade DC to ask the teacher for log-in details so she can take part.
KB

Post by KB »

Kit -
If DC goes on the exam board web site they can download the appropriate syllabus to see exactly what is included or not.

Its possible that DC disn't recognise the material required for some questions in so far as tying up what they have covered and how to apply it to answer a question. If they look at mark scheme and examiners report that might help ring some bells.
If they are still working through new material at school then even more reason to be doing reviosn of previous material at home!

As you say, thankfully there is still time though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now