mocks suitable for kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
semb

mocks suitable for kendrick

Post by semb »

Hi
I'm DIY'ing my DD for Kendrick this Oct. I'm looking into booking a mock somewhere to give her some experience of working to time under exam conditions, with other kids etc. One tuition centre has been mentioned to me, but I'm not sure if they do standalone mocks or only have these for children who have taken their courses. (Not sure if I'm allowed to name names due to advertising rules etc)

Looking at previous posts I see some have tried mocks further afield in Surrey - but on the particular providers website it doesn't list Kendrick amongst the schools their mock is appropriate for.

Doing a general search I've found a further mock provider in Berkshire who do seem to do standalone mocks.

However - before making a rather random choice between these three I wondered if anyone with knowledge could pm me opinions -good/bad in terms of appropriateness for Kendrick? (Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and it's about exam experience rather than a good match of content / standard format etc, but I'm worried about confusing DD sending her to a multiple choice exam when the real one isn't....then again it's late and maybe I'm over thinking this way too much!)

Any thoughts gratefully received...
menhow

Re: mocks suitable for kendrick

Post by menhow »

hi semb

I'm in a similiar situation as yourself DIY and looking at mock venues for exam practise. I saw one in the Surrey area, which have 4 sessions (May, Jun, Jul & Aug) but each session is only 30 minutes long for VR and NVR.

Let me know what you find out if establishments names aren't permitted.

menhow
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Take a look at Sutton Mocks run at Sutton Grammar School for Boys. They give you a unique number and publish the results online so you see where you are amid hundreds of well prepared students in your cohort. We have been using them for four years now and they have played a crucial part in preparation. DG
semb

Post by semb »

Daogroupie - thanks for your input

menhow - have pm'd you

semb
gohilt

Post by gohilt »

Hello,

I'm also a DIY mum and looking for a mock exam for my DD to take. Like yourselves, I've found a couple in Surrey, but Kendricks is not mentioned in the listed schools section.

I've also rung the tutoring school in Slough and they will not offer mocks to students who are not enrolled on their courses. Is there a center in Berkshire which offer mock exams suitable for Kendricks ?

Thanks ..
BaileyLane

Post by BaileyLane »

My DD sat a mock in Earley a few weeks before the test. Happy to PM you the name of the company, although if you Google 11+ mock Earley it should come up.

She also did a week long 'crash course' in the summer holidays, of 2 hours per day here.

I had very mixed feelings about both of these in terms of how helpful they were. If I was doing it again, I would probably do the mock test as it's good experience for them if they aren't used to an exam situation, but not the course - although my DD quite enjoyed the course and I think it helped her realise lots of other kids were prepping too.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Why don’t a few of us parents get together and knock up a mock exam for Kendrick?

I’m sure between us, we probably have the right knowledge of content, format and suitability for such a test. We can probably find a suitable location with desk/chairs and try to make out as realistic as possible.

A no-profit, at cost experience which would benefit those who want it :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

sonasona wrote:Why don’t a few of us parents get together and knock up a mock exam for Kendrick?

I’m sure between us, we probably have the right knowledge of content, format and suitability for such a test. We can probably find a suitable location with desk/chairs and try to make out as realistic as possible.

A no-profit, at cost experience which would benefit those who want it :)
:D

I'm sure if enough of us thought about it, it wouldn't be beyond us.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

When my son was preparing for Reading a couple of years ago, I left him in the library two or three times to do a paper - Central Library, sat him in the reference section upstairs, where there are lots of people reading and working, while I read a book downstairs (on one of their comfy sofas). The first time I pointed him out to the librarian and said I was nearby. Just made a change from the kitchen table with sisters bustling about!
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

aliportico wrote:When my son was preparing for Reading a couple of years ago, I left him in the library two or three times to do a paper - Central Library, sat him in the reference section upstairs, where there are lots of people reading and working, while I read a book downstairs (on one of their comfy sofas). The first time I pointed him out to the librarian and said I was nearby. Just made a change from the kitchen table with sisters bustling about!
Super idea, DD did a full 100 question VR test which I'd knocked up from various different papers on the fast train to London once! Her goal was to complete the test before we got into Paddington. I don't work my kids hard at all :lol: