preference form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

frantic

preference form

Post by frantic »

Hope someone can clarify :?:

am I right in thinking that if we put a grammar school as first choice and my son doesn't pass, his second choice becomes his first? We attended a meeting at his school & were told that schools are not informed of whether the choice is 1st, 2nd or 3rd, if a child meets the criteria for a school they will be offered a place in their 1st preference. I'm finding this a real worry as my son is fairly middle of the road, but will surprise us when we least expect it!

Here's hoping
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

YES if you put a grammar first and they fail then your 2nd choice becomes your first,the schools don't see the order but if your child meets the critera for more than one school the HIGHEST placed school is the one you get an offer from.
if you want a grammar then you MUST put it first,what sort of scores is he getting ,you need to aim for about 85% depending on his age.
hope that helps
good luck Pensby
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Frantic,

Please don't worry, your school is right.
Put your grammar school choice as first preference. If your child doesn't make the grade required for grammar school that choice is discarded by the authority and your second choice will be your first preference.
You may make the criteria (if they have to use one due to over subscription) of both your second and third but you will be offered only 1 the highest ranking one you put down.

Have a look at this..

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3490

It’s a stressful time and we have all worried about making the right decision knowing what we decide now is going to effect our children’s lives for there future.
Just know there are a lot of people on this website willing to share there experiences with you..

Take care for now..

AM
frantic

preference form

Post by frantic »

Thanks for the replies you've set my mind at rest. He's doing OK mostly between 83 - 90%, but then he'll throw in a 73% just to worry me!! Its really difficult to strike the right balance so as not to stress him out, while also getting him to practice.

Its great to share worries with likeminded parents though! Thanks again & take care
Frantic
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya Frantic,
Glad to help,it is good to talk and discuss worries !!Where are you hoping your son will go,we are hoping for Calday,as you say it's difficult knowing how to practice without them loosing heart!can't wait till it's all over!
Keep posting ,chin up!!
Pensby
Frantic

preference forms

Post by Frantic »

Hi again, We're hoping for wirral Grammar boys - we live in Bebington, I too will be glad when December comes and it's all out of our hands, although we then face a long wait for the results! still I think we'll all enjoy Christmas even more this year!
Take care
Frantic
Newbie But Stressed

Post by Newbie But Stressed »

For me last year it was quite enjoyable doing the preparation and 11+ practice with my daughter.

Once the tests were complete then the stress started.. :(

It's difficult to make the long wait a positive experience, as it's lots of '
what ifs . '

At least you have this Forum to keep you sane. :?

Good Luck.

NBS