Group learning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Brum Mum

Group learning

Post by Brum Mum »

Hello :D

DS decided that he wanted to try the 11+ with a view to going to grammar school, but with the open days not until June / July time there's no preference as yet although we've heard good things about AGS.

He's been doing group learning to fill in the gaps that he hasn't learnt at school yet and to reinforce some of his weaker areas. He does well at school and is very keen to learn.

Does anyone have any experience of 'how good' this is for Warwickshire? Should I be doing more?

Thanks

BM
Brum Mum

Re: Group learning

Post by Brum Mum »

BTW - he'll be doing 11+ in September 2013.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Is this 11+ specific, or just curriculum based? If it's 11+ specific ask the people doing it about the content of the Warwickshire test (read this site and know the answers yourself so you tell if they truly know what they are talking about!)

They should be able to tell you:
:: how many papers (2 x 45mins)
:: what's in them (each one a mix)
:: that each section withing each paper is seperately timed.
:: what a cloze test is
:: that there will be a multiple choice comprehension section
:: what type of questions might come up under "data handling".

They shouldn't:
:: be practising conventional verbal reasoning. Ask to see samples of the practice materials they are using - if they show you or you see them practising verbal reasoning codes questions (I know at least one Warwickshire tuition centre still does this!) then ask them why - it isn't in the Warwickshire exam!
:: be doing writing tasks - there's no essay/written English section.

That should give you a good idea of whether the tuition is likely to be relevant.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Sorry Okanagan, I did mean 11+ specific.

Many thanks for the detailed response - I will check through this with them this coming weekend.

I'm very 'green' to all this so very much appreciate the information.

Do you happen to know what percentages were scored in each aspect of the test this year and whether this is a low birth rate year?

Apologies for all of the questions! :roll:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Brum Mum wrote:Do you happen to know what percentages were scored in each aspect of the test this year and whether this is a low birth rate year?
The average raw scores for the 2012 test were:
Verbal Reasoning (which isn't traditional VR - it's more like English) = 56/111
Numerical Reasoning (aka Maths) = 10/42
Non Verbal Reasoning = 18/32

Average scores wouldn't have got a place at Alcester though.

2001 & 2002 had the lowest number of live births in England & Wales since 1999 - so it is a relatively small cohort this year.
suzysu

Post by suzysu »

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'group learning' - is this at school or outside school?
My DD has a fairly short attention span and I thought a private tutor wouldn't be right for her - she did an 11 plus 'class', backed up by lots of practice questions over the summer holidays at home. It worked for her, she got a place at GS this year. I do think to have any chance of succeeding you need to have specific 11plus practice (be it at home, tutor or class) as the exam material just isn't covered in school by the time they sit the exam. Good luck..
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

suzysu wrote:Not sure exactly what you mean by 'group learning' - is this at school or outside school?
My DD has a fairly short attention span and I thought a private tutor wouldn't be right for her - she did an 11 plus 'class', backed up by lots of practice questions over the summer holidays at home. It worked for her, she got a place at GS this year. I do think to have any chance of succeeding you need to have specific 11plus practice (be it at home, tutor or class) as the exam material just isn't covered in school by the time they sit the exam. Good luck..
Hi Suzysu,

I meant external group learning. There's online learning each night and a once per week 2 hour group learning (the advertising filters won't let me say which one). Its 11+ specific, based Birmingham, Solihull and Warwick.

I tried DS with a 1 to 1 tutor, but he didn't gel with her and didn't want to go back - and getting tutor recommendations around here is a bit like pulling teeth! He seems happier in the group setting to be honest.

I think I'll 'gen up' on some of the practice papers over the summer too, to make sure that I've helped him as much as I can.

Thanks
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Okanagan wrote:
Brum Mum wrote:Do you happen to know what percentages were scored in each aspect of the test this year and whether this is a low birth rate year?
The average raw scores for the 2012 test were:
Verbal Reasoning (which isn't traditional VR - it's more like English) = 56/111
Numerical Reasoning (aka Maths) = 10/42
Non Verbal Reasoning = 18/32

Average scores wouldn't have got a place at Alcester though.

2001 & 2002 had the lowest number of live births in England & Wales since 1999 - so it is a relatively small cohort this year.
Great - thanks Okanagan :D
Bloomers151

Post by Bloomers151 »

Brum Mum wrote:There's online learning each night and a once per week 2 hour group learning (the advertising filters won't let me say which one). Its 11+ specific, based Birmingham, Solihull and Warwick.
Hi Brum Mum,

I know exactly which tutors you are are talking about, we used them for our DS and we found them very good. We only did the online element though, so I don't know about the Group Learning. However, the online tests were very well structured, and they helped DS get the speed element that he needed (an essential 11+ skill).

Hope that helps in some way.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Bloomers151 wrote:
Brum Mum wrote:There's online learning each night and a once per week 2 hour group learning (the advertising filters won't let me say which one). Its 11+ specific, based Birmingham, Solihull and Warwick.
Hi Brum Mum,

I know exactly which tutors you are are talking about, we used them for our DS and we found them very good. We only did the online element though, so I don't know about the Group Learning. However, the online tests were very well structured, and they helped DS get the speed element that he needed (an essential 11+ skill).

Hope that helps in some way.
Hi Bloomers151,

Thanks for that - that's really helpful.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but was DS successful in his aim to get into GS and if so, which one?

Many thanks

BM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now