Free School Transport - Bury LEA

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
snowym

Free School Transport - Bury LEA

Post by snowym »

Free School Transport??? - Bury LEA

I live with my daughter in Bury. She currently catches the tram from Bury to Brooklands (Trafford Borough) as she attends Sale Grammar school. Does anybody know whether we would be able to claim free school transport as it is 17 miles away?

The last time I spoke to Bury Education (approx. 12 months ago), their response was that because I 'chose' to send my daughter to a grammar school in Trafford, she was therefore ineligible for free transport. When I pointed out that there was no state (ie. free) grammar school in Bury or North Manchester, they kept insisting it was my choice and I should have sent her to a closer (non-grammar) state high school which has a very poor academic record.

I don't claim any benefits as I am a working mother, but I could do with a helping hand with travel costs if my daughter is eligible.

Your advice on who to contact for help would be genuinely appreciated.

Thank you.
Etienne

Re: Free School Transport - Bury LEA

Post by Etienne »

I've had a quick look at their transport guidance
http://www.bury.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=10891&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and I'm afraid it looks as if they're right.

Local Authorities that were previously more generous with discretionary travel now seem to be cutting back to the legal minimum to save money.

You can appeal against the decision, but ,it will probably be an internal rather than an independent appeal, and I suspect you would have to have exceptional reasons to stand any chance at all of winning.
Etienne
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

We are in the Manchester Metropolitan Borough of Stockport and my DS travels to a GS in Trafford each day. Unfortunately we have to pay his fair as we chose to send him to a school outside our Borough, same as yourself. We will now have a DD starting GS in Trafford in September and will have to pay for her too. It is clearly stated in the rules and it seems Bury Council is the same. Sorry! :(
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Warwickshire is certainly the same. I seem to remember there was a court case testing this (in Kent, perhaps?) where the parents argued that the local school would not meet their daughter's educational needs. The parents lost and didn't get free transport. I wonder whether this was a trigger for the other local authorities to change their policies.
moved

Post by moved »

Essex is the same and once they are 16 they have to pay full adult fare!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Think Lancaster is similar - you could go to the local comprehensive school and can get the fare paid it it is over a certain distance but if you go to the much further distant Grammar school then you have to pay the fare
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Same in Bucks even though they have a fully grammar/upper system. Even if your nearest school isn't your catchment school they won't pay since there is one nearer than the one you have "chosen". Grrrr.
scary mum