Is it too late....Should I give uo?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest1968

Is it too late....Should I give uo?

Post by guest1968 »

Hi We have the first Bucks test in 2 weeks time and my son is doing 1 paper a night but is scoring 60's %. He knows how to do all the question types but is struggling a bit with Vocab. He has scored in the 80's and 90's while practising. It's just with the tests, he completes them within 30 mins and then won't check through! When we go through it together he can see where he went wrong and can correct them ok. He tells me not to panic and he will do it right on the day but I think this might be a bit late.....He got good scores in his end of year 5 sats. 4a for maths , and 5 for english and science.....Any suggestions?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It could well be that your son is bored of VR and cannot concentrate on it anymore. After all, 11+ practice becomes extremely repetitive at the end when the main issue is speed and accuracy.

You could try to give him 1/2 test a day to make it less painful. You ask him to work for 25mns and don't mark the test. The following day, he works again for 25mns, and you mark it at the end of the two days.

It is also possible that he will concentrate more on the exam day with the adrenalin going. - but you don't want to take a chance I am sure -
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there another idea although you may not like it.

Give him a test but tell him he must not fininish this one before 45 minutes.(I won't say 50 as he clearly fisnishes quick), tell him if he finishes before he must use the spare time to check and "wait for it" for everyone he gets right you will give him 5p. Thus £4 top prize

Sorry I know its a bribe but if its boredom that set in you will be surprised what a bribe can do.

I feel £4 is fair but thats up to you

Good luck

Mel

Post by Guest »

My son, has a similar problem. I do bribe, with extra computer time if he gets over 85%.
Unfortunately he keeps getting between 78%- 82% within time, and also not using the extra time to re-check. I got so fed up of going through the answers he got wrong, that I ended up asking him to correct them himself. When I check the corrected ones, he mostly then gets 93%+ :shock:
So it's not that he can't do them. Any ideas how to up his mark.... bribery hasn't worked though....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now