Newstead Wood Uniform Query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
April Day

Newstead Wood Uniform Query

Post by April Day »

Hi, I am new to the forum and hoping for some advice from other members. My daughter will be starting at Newstead in September and we received the information pack at the weekend. I want to start getting uniform to spread the cost the next few months, but looking at the list provided left me with some questions.
1. Is the only place to buy the school or the shop in Croydon? I am in Orpington so Croydon is abit of a trek.
2. I noticed there were a few either/or items, eg a-line skirt or kilt, sweatshirt or jumper. Does there tend to be an even mix of girls wearing these items or is one much more popular. I know if I go for say the kilt to start with, and everyone else is wearing the skirt my daughter will not be happy!
3. How strict does the school tend to be about things like the the plain black school bag and coat requirement? Though I expect my daughter to basically conform to uniform requirements, I imagine finding things like this which are completely plain black (and that she likes!) may not be straightforward.
4. Is there anything else I should know before I start buying uniform?
Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Billie

Re: Newstead Wood Uniform Query

Post by Billie »

Hi
The Croydon shop go to the school once a term... I think the next one is on Mon 17th June after school. everything is laid out in the hall and they know exactly what you need including what needs embroidering names on and where.
At the same time there will be the school's own second hand uniform sale ... I have got skirts and a blouse from them , all fine.
There was a shop in Tripes Farm, Orpington that had some uniform, but i don't think it still runs.... it never had much stock and the opening hours were weird.
Don't get the summer dress, no one wears them.
A few wear trousers, but not many.
A new uniform came in last September for years 10 and 11 which has the jumper and new style skirt. Lower years all wear the sweatshirt at the moment, so there will be quite a mix of styles.
Bags are generally black, but a logo is fine. I don't think they carry their bags round with them in the day... all in their lockers....so there generally isn't a strict check on them. they are allowed a small black 'valuables bag' to take round in the day...I think for that most use a small clutch style bag.
For coats I waited until the weather got colder as my dd didn't like the official coat...to see what was allowed. Needs to be black, although I've certainly seen some navy blue around.
I hope that's some help.
Jules123

Post by Jules123 »

I would definitely go for the kilt - it is the most popular and some of my daughters friends had the a-line skirt and never wore it because everyone was wearing the kilt - it looks nicer as well !!!
My daughter has had both her school bags from debenhams - they always have plain black ones although her inurement one has a small gold logo on it which no one has complained about
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

Hello Jules and April

First of all congrats for your daughters to get into the Newstead. If you don't mind can you please share the scores of your daughters. This would help all the other parents who are willing for there kids to get into the Newstead

that would be a big help
Thanks
Vivek
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now