Bond 10-minute 11+ papers

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
herewegoagain

Bond 10-minute 11+ papers

Post by herewegoagain »

Has anyone used these? My dc has been doing some as they offer the chance to do a short piece of work so can be done more frequently and fitted in round other things. But they seem to be easier than some of the other papers (eg Athey) and give more time per question. Has anyone else found this? My dc scores well on these but struggles when doing similar type question on the Athey papers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
fm

Post by fm »

I used these this summer for daughter and pupils. Most children proudly declared 5 to 6 minutes for time and scored full or almost full papers. I like them as a quick exercise to keep established skills fresh. They are about the level of Bond Assessment 10-11, apart from the cube ones which most can't do (I struggle with the occasional one myself).

On the subject of Athey, I no longer use them because many of my students (including very good ones) were scoring quite lowly compared to some very good performances in the others (****, AFN and NFER) so I felt they were sapping their confidence quite unnecessarily. I haven't used them for 2 years and it has made on difference.

****Edited in reference to rule 5 of the Forum Rules
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

That's really interesting on Athey. I've used them because Latymer specifically recommend them as practice but I may give her a go using some NFER papers I've got and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.
fm

Post by fm »

To Herewegoagain,

If the school recommends them (is that Godolphin and Latymer?), you probably should stick to them. However, if any of my pupils are struggling with one set of Non-verbal, I do put them onto an easier version and try to build up. That order I gave (Learning Together, ****, AFN and NFER) is order of complexity. You could also use Bond Non-Verbal. To reiterate I did find scoring on the Athey's surprisingly low (10/16 etc.) even with children who had a real natural aptitude for non-verbal.
tees

Post by tees »

which is ****?I have been using the others as well.

****Edited in reference to rule 5 of the Forum Rules
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now