Warks & b'ham exams on same day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mums23

Warks & b'ham exams on same day

Post by Mums23 »

Hi,

I'm quite new to the forum,so please put up with my silly Qs. I've only just noticed that both Warwick & Birmingham grammar exams are held on the same day. What implications will it have? is this something new? Waiting to hear from you !!
nervousmom

Re: Warks & b'ham exams on same day

Post by nervousmom »

Hi, this is nothing to worry about, it happened for the first time last year de to changes in giving scores prior to applying.

My DS sat bham exam first and the warks exam the week after.

Warks a happy for DC to sit their exam the following Saturday, but you need proof of the reason.

We applied for bham exam first and received a letter of confirmation. Once we had this We then applied for the warks exam indicating we needed the date of the following week and enclosed a copy of the letter received from bham.

This is sufficient for warks to allow the next date. Please note bham will to allow you to take the test another time.

I hope this answers your query. If you are at all concerned if you give warks admissions a ring, they will confirm this for you and advise you what to do.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

When you apply for the Warwickshire test there's a question on the form which asks "Do you intend to register your child to sit the Birmingham King Edwards Foundation selection tests? Confirmation of this will be required as test dates may clash." If you answer yes they'll give you details of how to register for the alternate date exam (usually a week after the main one).
naknat

Post by naknat »

It looks like it is not the same day this year but 1 day apart:
Warks the 8/09/13:
http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/elevenplus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birm the 7/09/13
http://www.kingedwardsfoundation.co.uk/ ... eneral.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does it mean if we want to sit both we have to do them on the same weekend?

Thank you very much for all your answers!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I think you'll find you're looking at the 2012 date for Warwickshire (which was the 8th September). The Draft Admissions arrangements for 2014 entry has the exam date as the 7th September 2013
Mums23

Post by Mums23 »

Thank you so much for the clarification! Much appreciated, a big sigh of relief!
:D
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Can I just clarify if doing both do you have to do Birmingham first? Its just that i would prefer my son to do the Warks first if possible.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Warwickshire have arrangements for late sittings for those taking both as a matter of course. Birmingham don't. Although I'm sure that Birmingham do make arrangements for late testing in the case of sickness for example, you can't choose in advance to take it late just because you'd prefer it that way round. It is only in the last year, with the change in the regulations which mean that the results have to be issued before the applications are made, that both have had to be on almost the same date. Before that the Brimngham one was several weeks later than the Warwickshire one.

The Walsall/Wolverhampton/Shropshire exams (also set by CEM) are even earlier - applications are already open for the exam (closing date Monday 3rd June) and the exam itself is on Tuesday 2nd July. No results out until after the Birmingham exam date though!
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Many thanks Okanagan, yes these regulations are new to me, I was familiar with the old system. My son will sit for both, as I expect Alcester Grammar will be one of his choices, and I will tick the box as indicated.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

Is it the same paper for both Birmingham and Warwickshire ?

If so then surely taking the Warwickshire exam second gives an unfair advantage to those who take the Birmingham exam first ?

A free mock, but better as it's the same paper!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now