Ks3 school by school data

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Ks3 school by school data

Post by mystery »

Anyone know how to find school by school ks3 teacher assessments?
ToadMum

Re: Ks3 school by school data

Post by ToadMum »

Quick search found this but no time to check how useful it may be!
http://www.education.gov.uk/rsgateway/D ... ndex.shtml
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mystery - I would not bother.

Since the test were abolished there's no external checking done of these assessments!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

No, in one sense it invalidates the data. But then again, a lot of primary information is based on progress from KS1 results to KS2 results and KS1 is barely externally validated in any way.

Also, KS2 English writing task is no longer externally marked so looking at progress in English from KS2 to GCSE for a secondary school will get more "misleading" as time goes by.

A lot of teachers do though feel that teacher assessment is more accurate than external testing.

It's a minefield.

I don't suppose KS3 stuff is available publicly school by school without an FOI request. Thanks for the responses so far Toadmum and G55. I'm going to stick with looking at the KS2 to KS4 percentage making expected progress for the low, medium, and high attainers for English and Maths as a first sieve. It's quite revealing. Knocked out one school on this basis so far.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mystery, KS1 data is moderated.

Each school is visited every few years and there are yearly meetings for teachers in our LA.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh I know that. But it's a low percentage that is moderated overall. And moderators differ too. It certainly provides me with no reassurance of any great consistency from school to school - even from teacher to teacher. Probably accurate to a full level either side in writing!

It reminds me of my illuminating visit to a GCSE moderator from the exam board in my first year of teaching. A lot of schools in the area had each sent a representative. We had all marked the same piece of coursework (an investigation) and taken it with us. We discussed in groups what we would give it and came up with an agreed mark within the group. Then we went round the room to hear each group's consensus mark. Then we waited for the moderator to pronounce, or tell us how to mark more accurately against the criteria.

His only words ring in my ear to this day. "As long as you can justify it, you can give whatever mark you think is correct within your professional judgement". And then we all went home.