Ratcliffe college

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rafmum

Ratcliffe college

Post by Rafmum »

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I wonder if anyone can help me. We are looking to send our daughter to ratcliffe college sept 2015, she is yr 4 at the minute but we currently live in Scotland where the curriculum teaching is very laid back, no Sats or formal assessments. I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on the entrance exams/getting into Ratcliffe, we love the school but im concerned she is way behind at the minute and would like to work with her in preparation. Many thanks in advance
hermanmunster

Re: Ratcliffe college

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Rafmum

Ratcliffe College nr leicester?

I knew a fair number of kids who took the entrance exam for year 7 and only one was not offered a place (though he later was offered a place but had already decided to go elsewhere). I also knew some who took the exam for years 4-7 - success was mixed for these - mainly I suspect because they were small years and there weren't many available places.

I am not sure what is in the papers there but the kids I knew were also taking Trent, Loughborough, Nottingham, Oakham etc and would have been working on maths, english and reasoning (verbal and non verbal). Worth asking Ratcliffe what they are including in tests and then looking on here for resources to help you at home - your DD probbaly won't have done reasoning so it may be worth looking at some of that first off to get her used to it.

PS hace noticed from the website that they offer to send sample papers
Rafmum

Post by Rafmum »

Hi Hermanmunster,

Thank you very much for your very informative reply. Yes we are looking to send our DD to Ratcliffe In Leicestershire.

At the moment she is working through the Bond books for age 8-9 Eng, verbal reasoning and we are using the Rising stars year 4 maths books in the hope that we are covering areas that are not being met at school (she does maths 2 times a week at school :( so i’m very concerned! Would you be able to recommend any other preparation material? Advice is very much needed, thank you again
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi rafmum

I'm not a teacher so not really the best person to help here, but there are some others around who will be able to help. There is quite a bit of advice for each of the subjects here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (look down left hand side) - there are quite a few resources mentioned there. If you can get some old papers it will give you some idea of what they are testing.

Just to complete the picture re the schools, there aren't any big indie preps in the area preparing for Ratcliffe -there are either v small indies or those attached to senior schools (eg elms @ trent, fairfield and convent @ loughborough).

Most of the local kids who go to Ratcliffe in year 7 will have been at Ratcliffe prep (not all stay), Grace Dieu school (although most of them stay at GD until aged 13 then move on) some other local independents and I suspect many from the local state schools who will have been doing the SATS etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now