Camp Hill open evening!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ah

Camp Hill open evening!!!

Post by ah »

Hi All,

Just wanted to share this with you. I went to Camp Hill open evening yesterday. As this is my first going in to senior school its all new to me.

We really enjoyed it, but at the same time it made me feel anxious as the standard is so high and the competition seems fierce!

The Headteacher mentioned the word 'able' quite a few times.

On our way out i told my daughter that even if she didnt get in it doesnt mean that shes not 'able'.

I think its really easy to get caught up with all the papers and tutoring and corrections and time limts that children can easily feel that if they dont get into a particular school they have failed themselves and their parents.

On that note i would like to wish all the children and parents who are taking the 11+ this year all the best and remember the fact that our children have spent all this time preparing and working so hard already makes them 'able' as far as im concerned.

GOOD LUCK!

ah
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi ah
I know exactly what you mean when you feel anxious about the high standards at open evenings. I haven't been to Camp Hill, but my son has started at Aston this year and I felt exactly as you did when we visited on the open evenings. On Thursday, year 7 parents were invited to the school for an open evening and it was great. The staff were all very friendly and for the first time I felt that we really were a part of the school. My daughter will be sitting the entrance exams this year, and I too have told her that it doesn't matter whether she passes or not. Obviously, I would love her to, but I think the effort that she has put in in the last few weeks is enough for me. I have told her that as long as she tries her best that is all she can do. It is out of our control whether the other girls that try for her schools are more or less intelligent than she is.
All the best for everyone going through these stressful few weeks!
ah

Post by ah »

Hi,

Nice to know im not alone.

ah

Post by Guest »

We went through the same, I thought that Camphill came across a bit too regimental and focused on passing exams. We chose Fiveways as our first choice, son got in, and he is really enjoying himself at the school. Point to meade, the best school on paper isn't always the one for your child.

Good luck.
ah

Post by ah »

To Guest,

Thank you for your response, im glad im not alone, dont get me wrong i loved the school, but i felt the head was saying only apply if your this good and then she gave examples of certain things.

Ah
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now