Key Stage 1 SATS paper

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Key Stage 1 SATS paper

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Am I the only one who thought it was a huge amount of reading for yesterday's level 3 paper? I was astonished! :o
ginx

Re: Key Stage 1 SATS paper

Post by ginx »

Was it yesterday? We're not told. My son doesn't seem to have a clue. But he probably didn't do level 3. Has level 2 been done?

I have no idea - thought ks1 sats weren't until May (sometime) or later?

Tell me more! I'll interrogate my son. He came home with some new reading books, having moved up a level .... is that a good sign? No glowing comment in his reading record, though, far from it.
Manana

Post by Manana »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Am I the only one who thought it was a huge amount of reading for yesterday's level 3 paper? I was astonished! :o
Which paper was it? No new ones have been released for years, so it would have been an old one.

It wasn't a national thing that your DC took this paper yesterday. Y2 teachers can give their class a SATs paper whenever they like throughout the year (in September if they wish) and this underpins their teacher assessment which is what will be reported to you at the end of the year. The SATs don't work in the same as in Y6 where everyone has to take the same paper at 9am on the morning of Tuesday 14th May.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks Manana.
There were two booklets which were both 11 pages long! One on The Netherlands and the other Katje and the Windmill (the names in which my daughter found confusing to start with :lol: )
It seems to have been constant SATS for the 6 days or so! :shock:
Manana

Post by Manana »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Thanks Manana.
There were two booklets which were both 11 pages long! One on The Netherlands and the other Katje and the Windmill (the names in which my daughter found confusing to start with :lol: )
It seems to have been constant SATS for the 6 days or so! :shock:
Hmmm, that sounds like pretty shoddy practice to me; I'm a Y2 teacher, it certainly shouldn't be like this. The levels reported are TA ones so there really is no need for schools to do constant SATs papers for 6 days!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I think it's ridiculous, really quite unnecessary at that age. However, as an English teacher, I was astonished at the length of text they needed to read in order to answer the questions. :shock:
Manana

Post by Manana »

ourmaminhavana wrote:I think it's ridiculous, really quite unnecessary at that age. However, as an English teacher, I was astonished at the length of text they needed to read in order to answer the questions. :shock:
Yes, they're quite substantial! Were you at the school helping?
moved

Post by moved »

L3 in yr 2 is a bit like L6 in yr 6 IMHO. It tests the curriculum from the keystage above. Admittedly, 20% of yr2 children get L3 compared to 2% L6 (maths figures, not reading).
mystery

Post by mystery »

How did you get to see the paper o m I h? There some old papers which are recycled again and again in year 2 as part of teacher assessment, and the ones they can choose from are listed in that year's a r a document. But it is not easy for a parent to get to see them.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I think OurMam is teaching at the moment; under very difficult conditions, as far as I can tell.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now