Assisted places - how do they work?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HappyRobot

Assisted places - how do they work?

Post by HappyRobot »

Hi there,
Does anyone know the salary thresholds typical to get you an assisted place? I know they will be different across the country, but would be great to have an idea.
Also if you are self employed how many years of accounts do you need to show?
Finally, how much of a reduction in fees is possible?
..and what sort of info do bursars ask for?
Last edited by HappyRobot on Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reading Mum

Re: Assisted places - how do they work?

Post by Reading Mum »

how long is a piece of string?

It totally depends on the school you are applying to. Some have huge pots of money from old boys/girls and bequests meaning they can be generous with bursaries for the right child - others do not. Some grant up to 100% of fees, sometimes in combination with an academic scholarship. I would expect your finances to be closely examined - property, incomes, savings, dependants, commitments, cars etc.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I imagine you've already found the income/fees table for the KE Foundation? If not you can find it on either of the school websites.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

thanks Mike1880 no this is the first time I am looking into it...so thanks.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

mike1880 wrote:I imagine you've already found the income/fees table for the KE Foundation? If not you can find it on either of the school websites.
Or just click here :)
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

ta
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

have to remember that the number of bursary / assisted places is limited in most schools and usually only available to those who have done v well in the entrance exams first. Makes it hard as child can pass but perhaps not well enough to get the assisted place they need to go there
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

And even with an AP there will still be an uncomfortably large amount of money to find unless you have something like sub-20k household income.
bucksanxiousmum

Post by bucksanxiousmum »

My advice would be to give it a go; after accepting a place at an independent school, to which our DD won a scholarship (a nominal amount off fees), our financial circumstances changed. I contacted the school who told me that bursaries are available to scholarship children and to apply for one. When I asked about funds available for the bursary (my concern was that all funds would already have been allocated as we were late applying) the response was that it all depends on the case - some years they overspend and others they underspend.

We sent in the application and today have received notification of a bursary award which will mean that DD can still attend her school in September. :D :D

I think each school has it's own policy but it is worth asking and talking to a person (in this case I had a frank discussion with the Bursar) about your circumstances. The schools have to offer a certain amount of bursaries to retain their charitable status, so bear that in mind.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

BAM
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

bucksanxiousmum wrote: I think each school has it's own policy but it is worth asking and talking to a person (in this case I had a frank discussion with the Bursar) about your circumstances. The schools have to offer a certain amount of bursaries to retain their charitable status, so bear that in mind.
not actually true - it's just a straightforward way of demonstrating some public benefit so many do it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now