Is British Citizen living outside UK allowed for 11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
krishire

Is British Citizen living outside UK allowed for 11 plus

Post by krishire »

Is British Citizen living outside UK allowed to sit for 11 plus grammar school exams?
Reading Mum

Re: Is British Citizen living outside UK allowed for 11 plus

Post by Reading Mum »

in theory yes, but getting a place will depend on where the DC is living by allocation day for most schools. There are still a few who allocate purely on score with no catchment, but not many
Amber

Post by Amber »

Reading Mum wrote:in theory yes, but getting a place will depend on where the DC is living by allocation day for most schools. There are still a few who allocate purely on score with no catchment, but not many
Gloucestershire does. My DS sat his exam with someone from the USA, as well as less exotic but presumably non-commutable locations like Nottingham and Cambridge. Not sure if they got in and if they moved if so - there are certainly some commuting what I think of as crazy distances, but I haven't seen any private jets landing on the roof so far.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Redbridge GSs only allow a child to sit their 11+ he s/he is a resident of the Boroughs of Redbridge or Waltham Forest, he I remember correctly, unless not enough in-catchment entrants pass. Where is your UK base?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

In Buckinghamshire they anyone can sit the test but allocations are on distance so unless a school has lots of spare places someone from overseas would be unlikely to be offered a place, although I believe it has happened.
scary mum
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Amber wrote:
Reading Mum wrote:in theory yes, but getting a place will depend on where the DC is living by allocation day for most schools. There are still a few who allocate purely on score with no catchment, but not many
Gloucestershire does. My DS sat his exam with someone from the USA, as well as less exotic but presumably non-commutable locations like Nottingham and Cambridge. Not sure if they got in and if they moved if so - there are certainly some commuting what I think of as crazy distances, but I haven't seen any private jets landing on the roof so far.
ah - that explains why one of DD's class mates is moving to Stroud for September
krishire

Post by krishire »

Any Idea whom I should contact in kent(Medway) to get an official note on this topic.
My friend's son was here in kent till last year and now he is in abroad and he wants to come back and give his 11 exams...
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

krishire wrote:Any Idea whom I should contact in kent(Medway) to get an official note on this topic.
01634 331110 or by email: admissions@medway.gov.uk
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

scary mum wrote:In Buckinghamshire they anyone can sit the test but allocations are on distance so unless a school has lots of spare places someone from overseas would be unlikely to be offered a place, although I believe it has happened.
Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Switzerland, Italy, France, USA ... to name but a few. :lol:

Only for one or two schools though.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Also worth reading the moving to the area info on admissions section on relevant Council's website.

No idea why you are abroad currently but there are special rules for some, know someone whos parent worked for foreign office and was on a fixed term posting at a consulate abroad, Council had to find a place at a specific school when they returned because of an obscure rule about families of Servants of the Crown (forgot what its called) having some statutory right to continue as if posting hadn't happened.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now