Transport

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gold

Transport

Post by Gold »

Hi my daughter has a place at SHSG yippeeee, anyone know of transport from Chafford Hundred/Grays area whether it be private coach/trains/buses. Anything will be useful...
pheasantchick

Re: Transport

Post by pheasantchick »

There are some good websites which consider public transport.

Transpordirect.info

Traveline
Gold

Post by Gold »

Thanks I will take a look.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Be careful with Transport Direct - I have used it a fair bit, and lately it has taken to throwing out some very, very strange results. The first search I did on this one (just out of curiosity) came up with journey times as long as 2.5 hours!

Anyway, the answer seems to be train from Grays (42 minutes) and then walk (20 minutes).
Gold

Post by Gold »

Hi Sally Anne that's what i came up with, I'll probably drop her to Upminster so she won't need to change, but is it a 20 min walk from Southend East as the school said 10 mins. :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Gold wrote:Hi Sally Anne that's what i came up with, I'll probably drop her to Upminster so she won't need to change, but is it a 20 min walk from Southend East as the school said 10 mins. :?
Get DD to try the walk a couple of times - shouldn't take 20 minutes really but it does depend how quickly she walks of course! Don't forget to apply for a Scholars' Season Ticket (I think they are available for SHSG - have a look at the website. They are definitely available for SHSB and WHSG).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Gold

Post by Gold »

Thank you ToadMum thats very helpful. :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My journey to school (when predatory dinosaurs were a regular threat :wink:) was a 10 minute walk, a few minutes train journey and then a 40 minute walk. I lived to tell the tale ...

Just FYI, the maximum recommended journey time for a secondary age child is 90 minutes.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sally-Anne wrote:Just FYI, the maximum recommended journey time for a secondary age child is 90 minutes.
Out of interest, by whom is that recommended? 3 hours a day, week in week out, sounds a bit of a killer to me, especially at the young end of secondary.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The DFES, as was http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... 3-2007.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , and in fact it is less than 90 minutes in the 2007 report:
54. Best practice suggests that the maximum each way length of journey for a child of primary school age might be considered to be 45 minutes; whilst a child of secondary school age might be expected to travel up to 75 minutes each way Similarly, a child’s special educational needs and/or disability might be such that it implies a shorter maximum journey time.
I have a feeling that there may be later guidance stating 90 minutes, but I can't lay my hands on it right now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now