Kent test September 2014 takers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumg76

Kent test September 2014 takers

Post by mumg76 »

Hi,

I am from Aberdeen , Scotland and very new to this forum. Not very sure if i'm posting this in the right place, not a good start i guess, but i am hoping will get there eventually.

My DD is now in year4 and we will be moving to Kent in 2014 summer, therefore no much choice but to DIY at home.I will truly apprecaite if some one could guide me with books that i can use to prepare my DD to sit her GS exams.And also educate me on the scoring system etc. Please do not laugh, but have no information on any grammar schools in kent, can someone help me , please!!!!!!!

mumg76
mystery

Re: Kent test September 2014 takers

Post by mystery »

Test is changing. Have a good browse on here about c e m and kent. There is lots to read. In the meantime big emphasis on vocabulary and pushing on the maths to a good standard with a wide variety of problem based material.
mumg76

Post by mumg76 »

Hi mystery,

thank you soooooo much for prompt response. Shall look out for threads in connection with c e m and Kent.

any particular book you would reccomend for vocabulary?

we have started with bond and schofield & sims for maths.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hello mumg

Have you found this thread here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 19&t=16988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this one http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 26#p378326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I think there is loads of info that might help there.

We used bond for our children, with the GL packs for practice tests, you can find them here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ack-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, but be careful. A lot of the threads on here about Kent were for the 11 plus as it is now - last sitting in that format is 2013. It will definitely be different in some way in 2014 - see the sticky at the top of Kent. There is a procurement exercise underway for the September 2014 tests and I don't see them going for the same again. Currently it is GL assessment who sets the test, and it is three papers - VR, NVR, and maths. You can buy GL practice papers. It is not likely that they will go through this procurement exercise just to do the same again in 2014 unless something puts a spanner in the works.

Mods - I think some kind of health warning needs to be emblazoned at the top of the Kent section saying that the test is going to be different in September 2014.
mumg76

Post by mumg76 »

anotherworriedmum & mystery,

Thank you.

Does that mean we are all in dark until summer 2014.......... gosh i am beginning to panick alreday!!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Take a look at the Bexley section and the Bucks section for some clues.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi
All seems quiet on the subject of the Kent test for 2014 takers..

Has anyone heard anything from the inside at KCC about whether they will change the test for next year or skip the decision and leave as it is?

I'd heard that they have to let us know by the 31st July latest.., which is now just over 2 weeks away..!

Thanks
Villagedad
mystery

Post by mystery »

They have to renew the existing contract, or accept one of the new tenders by 31 July this year. But they don't have to let us know.

The contract, when let, will be on the Kent Business Portal, but how you find it on there is not straightforward. I found the existing contract by searching for the term 11+ ( I think) but of course the same term may not be used in the title of the new contract.

So I think we have to keep on asking KCC if we want to know? Othewise, I think you will just get stuff in the local papers (which is always rather unreliable and secondhand) if they think it makes a good story, and maybe not be told officially until it's time to register for the test.

If anyone has any vibes as to what is likely to happen it would be very interesting. Does anyone know anyone who will know? I don't.

Also, schools like Judd who are thinking of going for their own test can do so very late on. So we could be in for more than one surprise!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I had a very brief conversation with someone who works as an assessor for Kent schools who seemed to think GL Assessment were still the forerunners for 2014....but how she knows I don't know and I need to ask a few more questions. Shall keep you posted.