Unanswered Questions - interpretations

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lily21

Unanswered Questions - interpretations

Post by Lily21 »

We have just received the statement from the GS with the questioned answered correctly, incorrectly and unanswered. Our DD failed to answer about 25% at the end of each paper, indicating she ran out of time. This had not been a problem in the lead up to the 11+. Can this be turned into a positive as we are appealing for non-qualification as well as over subscription? Is it worth asking their form tutor whether she normally struggles with time management as this has never been mentioned highlighted before?

Lily21
:?
Kingfisher

Re: Unanswered Questions - interpretations

Post by Kingfisher »

I don't know if this will help your case actually. In my experience, many children do not finish the 11plus paper, which is part of the differentiating factor. They might say that if she did not complete, she is unlikely to keep up with the others.

Someone else will shed a bit of light on it. Good luck with your appeal, though.
Lily21

Post by Lily21 »

Hi Kingfisher, my concern was that is may be interpreted that she will not keep up. She did not find it difficult to complete practice papers in time nor does she struggle at school with timed tests,so to see the amount of questions missed was a shock.

L
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to say that working very quickly and very accurately under pressure would seem to be part and parcel of the 11+.

To argue against this, I would have thought that ideally you'd need:
    • • evidence of consistently high scores at something comparable (e.g. numerous CATs tests),
      or
      • evidence of an undiagnosed learning disability which would have qualified for extra time.
Etienne
Lily21

Post by Lily21 »

Thank you Etienne, hopefully the academic evidence will speak for itself and the panel will see this was not a true reflection on the day.

Lily21
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

hopefully the academic evidence will speak for itself and the panel will see this was not a true reflection on the day.
That would make quite a good summing up for your case! :)
See if you can work it in with the suggestions here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now