SATS - level 6 tests

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

SATS - level 6 tests

Post by tiffinboys »

For some strange reason, our primary did not enter children for English level 6 tests, though every child in top set (about 30) are taking Maths level 6 tests today.

Now we would never know if our children had achieved level 6 in English at the end of their yr 6.
tabasco

Re: SATS - level 6 tests

Post by tabasco »

DD is sitting for level 6 maths today as well. Level 6 English (Reading and Writing) was on Monday and Tuesday respectively. DD said they were more DCs doing Maths than English for Level 6!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I would have thought that most children from top set would be entered for the Level 6 tests in English, just as they did for Maths. Perhaps the School is happy with level 5A. Shows aspiration of the Head and teachers.
ginx

Post by ginx »

This might not make sense, but isn't level 6 English supposed to be more difficult than level 6 Maths? Very few dc passed level 6 English in Warwickshire last year, whereas I believe more passed level 6 Maths.

Are dc just better naturally at maths - or was it mostly boys who passed level 6 maths - or are maths teachers better? Or is the English paper too difficult? I don't know the statistics.

Or maybe that's just Warwickshire ... my dd found level 6 English difficult, I've yet to hear about the Maths. Finishing this afternoon :D :D :D
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

DD said the level 6 English is easy that both the HBS and TGS 11+ English tests she took last year!

We should find out about level 6 maths today!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students might think the Level 6 Comprehension paper is easy but they might not be writing what is required. The mark schemes are like that of KS3, very very specific. "award no marks if ........ is not mentioned." I have students who when they first join my classes write stories that are not fit for purpose,but have no idea about that until they hear what other students are writing , then they realise. English is an subject where you can go wrong without knowing. DG
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Last across the whole country only about 900 (which rounds to 0%!) got a level 6 in reading (maybe because not many were entered). For maths it was about 3%.

The data is here including regional breakdowns if anyone's interested.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, Okanagan.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Clearly policies must vary between school, my daughter has advised about 20 (out of 2 form entry 60) are doing level 6, but only handful doing both, with just a small number doing English only, but about dozen doing maths only.

I think maths marking is more absolute, its either right or wrong, but some parts of English are more subjective so harder to pick up some marks

As a school Governor, I know some schools don't do it as the papers have to be ordered in especially, and we had a debate about the advantage of doing so, however we considered it sensible for G&T (Gifted and Talented) kids to be properly stretched, not just coast.
Both level 6 Maths are same afternoon, and I think with Science A & B on Friday it means there are 14 tests during the week for any year 6 doing both level 6 tests.
Anyone that doesn't pass level 6 paper gets whatever grade they got in level 3-5 paper, so could end up below level 5
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Does anybody know what the pass mark is to gain a Level 6?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now