Spot treatment. Recommendations please.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Spot treatment. Recommendations please.

Post by Tinkers »

My soon to be 11yo DD is starting to break out in spots. Mostly on her forehead ATM.
She does wash her face but obviously she needs something a bit more anti spot.

She doesn't have a fringe to hide them behind.

What do others use to keep their DCs' spots under control?
fatbananas

Re: Spot treatment. Recommendations please.

Post by fatbananas »

Witch hazel stick is fantastic.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh that takes me back to my spots! I used to have a tube of face pack - the type that dries up. I used to put a bit on a spot at bedtime and wear it all night. It really shrank them away quite well. Then that witchhazel gel during the day sometimes too.

If it's permanently bad taking low dose antibiotics works wonders. Continuous use of all the external preparations can just be very irritating and not really solve it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Are we allowed to advertise on here?
You can get something called Freederm from supermarkets. They do an entire range of stuff and several friends have used it as well as members of this family on occasion.

If they are bad, go to the GP. There are all kinds of topical and even systemic treatments which mean that there is no need to suffer.
marigold

Post by marigold »

When my eldest suffered very badly her GP recommended any product containing salicylic acid. The Neutragena range is one of the best. She also prescribed some topical cream which was very effective but which stained our towels and sheets appalling.

The first time I took her ( aged 14 and a young looking one at that ) a locum GP ignored me and was 10 seconds away from prescribing the pill before I noticed and suggested a medicated facial wash was perhaps more appropriate.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS swears by witch hazel (they do it n a stick). DD uses sudocrem - she goes to bed smothered in it and finds the smell very soothing too!
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

marigold wrote:The first time I took her ( aged 14 and a young looking one at that ) a locum GP ignored me and was 10 seconds away from prescribing the pill before I noticed and suggested a medicated facial wash was perhaps more appropriate.
My DD has complained about this too - every time she has gone to the GP for anything at all, since the age of about 13, they seem to want to put her on the Pill. She looks very young for her age as well and has never suggested it herself - one time she was having headaches and the answer seemed to be that she must need contraception. Maybe there is a protocol for GPs which suggests that any teenage girl ought to be put on it ASAP, save trouble later.

And maybe this is why: I was in the pharmacy the other day when a woman came in and bought a pregnancy test. She was bemoaning the fact that she couldn't find time to go to the GP with her daughter for a test or an implant. Cashier said 'oh if she is over 15 she can get one without your consent' and she said, laughing: 'No, she's 14. Oh well, these things happen. We've all done it.', shrugged and laughed again :shock: Cashier also shrugged and said 'yes, they grow up so fast these days' and I thought, I am getting very old.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
marigold wrote:The first time I took her ( aged 14 and a young looking one at that ) a locum GP ignored me and was 10 seconds away from prescribing the pill before I noticed and suggested a medicated facial wash was perhaps more appropriate.
My DD has complained about this too - every time she has gone to the GP for anything at all, since the age of about 13, they seem to want to put her on the Pill. She looks very young for her age as well and has never suggested it herself - one time she was having headaches and the answer seemed to be that she must need contraception. Maybe there is a protocol for GPs which suggests that any teenage girl ought to be put on it ASAP, save trouble later.

And maybe this is why: I was in the pharmacy the other day when a woman came in and bought a pregnancy test. She was bemoaning the fact that she couldn't find time to go to the GP with her daughter for a test or an implant. Cashier said 'oh if she is over 15 she can get one without your consent' and she said, laughing: 'No, she's 14. Oh well, these things happen. We've all done it.', shrugged and laughed again :shock: Cashier also shrugged and said 'yes, they grow up so fast these days' and I thought, I am getting very old.
:shock: :shock:
scary mum
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

I am also :shock: :shock: at the post about the pregnancy test comments!!

Duac from the Dr's has worked brilliantly, also I took her to a decent makeup shop for a lesson, and we bought Bare Minerals makeup - as she was covering them up in horrid thick foundation which was just making them worse. Together these have worked fantastically! :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Amber wrote:

:shock: she isn't even 11 yet!!!
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Will look closer at the skin care aisle at the supermarket, with a more informed frame of mind.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now