Inconvenient box-room bulk head...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2littleboysmum

Inconvenient box-room bulk head...

Post by 2littleboysmum »

The littlest little boy cannot stay in a toddler bed indefinitely, I know that, but the box room in which he is currently resident will not allow a full size bed in due to the inconvenient bulk head. I am wondering if anyone has had a cabin bed or similar built over a bulk head. Is this expensive? do you think it is a good idea to make best use of the room? we originally thought we would move the bigger little boy into the attic (which poses a whole new set of furniture problems due to the sloping ceilings), but he likes his current bedroom and is none too keen. The little one is a poor sleeper and also tends to wander in the night/ have nightmares. I do not want to put him in the attic either. Of course, when they become teenagers they will probably fight over the attic and we would be left with a box room with a built in bed. What to do, what to do.
Snowdrops

Re: Inconvenient box-room bulk head...

Post by Snowdrops »

Not built one ourselves, but many, many years ago my ex husband's parents did indeed have a bed built over the bulkhead, and it worked very well indeed.

Obviously after all this time costs wouldn't be comparable but we are only talking about bits of wood sloting together. In fact, I should think anyone handy enough would be able to do it, or make it an investment piece by employing a joiner and turn it into one of those space saving midi sleepers with storage space underneath (see previous thread on hi-sleepers).
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

These folks might be able to come up with something.

http://www.pine-design.co.uk/page5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marylou
2littleboysmum

Post by 2littleboysmum »

Thanks, Mary-Lou. If we do go for it I am hoping to get one with some sort of built in bookshelf/drawer/desk combo. It really is the most inconvenient room in terms of shape and size.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I looked at a house with a built in bed like that - wouldn't have put me off buying it if the house had been otherwise suitable.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

http://youtube/dAa6bOWB8qY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Marylou wrote:These folks might be able to come up with something.

http://www.pine-design.co.uk/page5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Referring back to discussions on the other thread on the subject of high-sleepers, as far as I can see, the only way to change the sheet on the middle level of the "L-shaped bunk" would be to pull the mattress out altogether from the "free" end :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx