AGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nimbus

AGSB

Post by Nimbus »

HI- My son is sitting him entrance exams in September. I went to the open evening at AGSB a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed but you could really feel the tension in the room from other parents! I would love to know what others thought and also hear from parents of boys already there to hear the views?
Cupcake

Re: AGSB

Post by Cupcake »

Hi Nimbus, I have experience here from having a DS at the school and one that's just gone through the whole process recently. I know what you mean by the tension, I think the competition and pressure to get boys into the school has increased dramatically in the last few years. This is a reflection generally of trends across the country really and probably worsened by the increasing financial pressures pushing more and more people out of the private sector. The school has had many less people not taking up offers than they have had before and so they were already above admissions numbers before the appeals process and a substantial waiting list of boys from out of area with very good pass marks. Many parents that I know took the view to pay for a few years prep school not to get into the private secondaries but to get into the grammars.

The school is very high achieving and has many plus marks and it's with considerable pride that I watch the development of my DS and friends. However, it is fast moving, pressured and a bit relentless at times, depending on your child's personality they can get demotivated and worn down by it all though usually not for long!. I've heard this from a broad range of parents with children with different abilities so it's not just a case of less able boys struggling. Personality has a lot to do with it. My best advice is to take a long hard look at your DS, talk to his existing teachers if they're prepared to discuss it, and think 1. Is he up to the academic challenge, you'll know that by now from what he's done at school and 2. Will it suit his personality.

I've said before and still believe we are blessed in Trafford with many excellent schools with different approaches. Friends of my DS at other schools are enjoying school and thriving just as well as mine. It is a stressful experience for all involved and therefore is not to be undertaken lightly. If you're absolutely convinced it's the right school go for it, you won't regret it.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I have a son in Y9 , we are out of area and have a very early start to the day. My son is not one of the elite high performers in his year but is doing very well, excelling in his best subjects and holding his own in the others. He is very very happy at school. His friends are lovely lads, the teachers are excellent, caring as well as academically inspiring. The office ladies are incredibly caring and helpful. He does get a lot of homework but luckily he is very organised and motivated! I can honestly say that I can't think of a major negative about the school. It was not our first choice school and we did not think for a moment that he would be offered a place, but he really took to it on the open night- so we kept an open mind. We also felt the 'tension' at both the open night and on exam day- which was completely bonkers. My advice is keep a level head, ignore the hysteria and hype, and the rumour mill(!)- and just do your own thing. It's competitive but you can only try! Good luck!
GailJ

Post by GailJ »

We were in the same boat last year and it is all very daunting. My son is the youngest in the class and we were not sure whether the whole entrance exam thing would be too much for him. We spoke to his teacher and she thought he was up to it and DS was very keen to give it a go and it paid off as he passed!
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do and don't be put off by the other parents!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now