VR in CEM

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rachag

VR in CEM

Post by rachag »

DH has just decided that DD should sit grammar school exam in Sept :/ Had not planned on this at all, just planning on indie exams :s
Am I failing to understand something in the sticky at the top in that there appears to be no traditional verbal reasoning - that seems to be cloze, synonyms antonyms and comprehensions? So its jst really increasing vocab that will help the 'VR' component? If VR is 50% of mark, is it just an extension of good english skills??
Thanks
Okanagan

Re: VR in CEM

Post by Okanagan »

Correct - as far as we know! However .... because there isn't a set format there is always the chance that they will come up with new ways of testing VR - for example the jumbled sentences with a left over word "heavily may banks rivers when fields rains streams it and burst their". Or crossword style clues: Jewelled goblet = c _ _ _ _ c e. Or anything else they (or you) may think up which will test vocabulary and spelling. But you are right you can forget the type of traditional VR which involves codes, number, etc.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Thanks. Saved from slaving over VR books then but a 3 month run up is too little I think :(
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Don't worry about the short notice. Daughter of friends had been positive she didn't want to do the GS exam...right up to the last week of summer term in Y5. That was for the last November exam, so you've got about the same time to prepare. (She's at CHG now btw.)
rachag

Post by rachag »

Thanks Mike. Will give it a good shot. Dont think maths and NVR will be a problem but will need to work on English which is really the hardest to do IMHO. Really up the creek because trying to sell house to move to Bham and dk where we will be with possible move so may be back for advice on which comp to go for if in Harborne / Edgbaston :s
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Lordswood Girls and be grateful you don't have a DS to find a comp place for :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Or St Pauls Girls if you're of the right persuasion, AFAIK that's THE only comp in Edgbaston (imho it's the wrong side of the Hagley Rd to count as Edgbaston but what do I know...). I think the idea is that if you live in Edgbaston you're rich enough not to trouble the state sector.

I agree with muminbrum about boys schools. What is it with boys schools in B'ham?

Mike
rachag

Post by rachag »

Happened to go to St Pauls girls on Sat - never seen it before (opposite side of H road to my usual travels). So no boys about at all - no Lordswood boys :s Where do they go then??
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mike1880 wrote: What is it with boys schools in B'ham?
Mike
What is happening with boys in general? My DS is in a secondary boy school ... and arghghghgh... I am often appalled by what I hear about his day at school: bad language, pranks, disruptive pupils in lessons. I don’t have memories of such things at my DD’s school 10 years ago. Is it because the level of good behaviour has plummeted in ten years (due to a lack of strict authority from parents) or is it a difference boys/girls?
My hair is becoming grey at an alarming rate! :(

There is this article about difference of discipline between the US and France (skip the first paragraphs about AHDH and go straight to 8th pragraph):
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suf ... -have-adhd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am persuaded the discipline in France is no more what it used to be but this article shows clearly that strict limits help children to build their personalities. Here is a quote of this article: hearing the word "no" rescues children from the "tyranny of their own desires."

Oh dear, I will bother you again with North and South by Elisabeth Gaskell :oops: but there is this very nice passage (Mr Thornton speaking about his past):
I am not speaking without book. Sixteen years ago, my father died under very miserable circumstances. I was taken from school, and had to become a man (as well as I could) in a few days. I had such a mother as few are blessed with; a woman of strong power, and firm resolve. We went into a small country town, where living was cheaper than in Milton, and where I got employment in a draper's shop . Week by week our income came to fifteen shillings, out of which three people had to be kept. My mother managed so that I put by three out of these fifteen shillings regularly. This made the beginning; this taught me self-denial.

Frankly, I do find 'teaching' self denial to my 11 year old DS quite challenging in our modern western society... though I do persist as I am very stubborn and I do hope that one day :roll: all my advice will fall on 'open' ears :oops: :oops:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

rachag wrote:So no boys about at all - no Lordswood boys :s Where do they go then??
It's not that there are no boys schools - it's just that they're not a very inspiring prospect for the would-be parent. Anyone looking at Lordswood or Kings Norton Girls then trotting hopefully down the road to the corresponding boys school is in for a bitter disappointment. That's possibly why this forum is so heavily boy-oriented.

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now