Bletchley Park

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

RedVelvet

Bletchley Park

Post by RedVelvet »

Hi

I'm thinking of taking the children (11,9 and 7) at half term and wondered if there was plenty to occupy us for the day. Also can anyone recommend a Bletchley based film suitable for this age, old black and white is fine, they loved the Dam Busters last week

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Bletchley Park

Post by scary mum »

I have no idea, but was thinking of taking my boys (11 & 13), so watching with interest.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Bletchley Park is simply wonderful, and children of that age will enjoy it very much.

It is a while since I have been and I know that they are restoring bits of it all the time, but there was certainly plenty to keep us occupied for a whole day. Quite a few exhibits are dependent on volunteers to run them, so not everything may be open on the day you visit, but the main exhibits are usually open.

There is also a fascinating collection of "computers through the ages", from the abacus onwards. For those of us of a certain age it was a real trip down memory lane. (Sinclair Spectrum ZX81, anyone? :oops: )

Also, provided it is still the same franchisee running it, the food in the cafe was extremely good. Not a vast choice, but very tasty indeed.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

For the film - you could try "Enigma".
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

They actually recommend 12 and upwards on their website. I took my 11 year old last year - he loves maths, codes, ciphers, etc, and we thought it would be a good trip for the two of us. He wasn't that taken though, I have to say, and I enjoyed it far more than him, and he certainly wouldn't have wanted to spend a whole day there! Maybe I just got him on an off day, or maybe my expectations were a bit high. I think a 7 year old would find it very dry.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

aliportico wrote:They actually recommend 12 and upwards on their website.
:? http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/visit/age7-14.rhtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; DS2 was 7 when we first visited and he found it very interesting.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have a friend with a 7 year old son who has been and he loved it. Can't say myself ascI have never been, but it is on our things to do list.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Do go - it's a great day out.

Many of the volunteers are very knowledgeable and it's a fascinating insight into how maths gets everywhere!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Thanks, great to see many positive comments.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

We haven't been to Bletchley park yet, but my 11 year old DS read this book that he liked so much that he insisted that he reads it again... with me this time! He can be a bit patronising sometimes!!! :lol:
The Messenger Bird by Ruth Eastham. It is linked with Bletchley park, you can read some comments on amazon to have a better idea about it.

Now, I 'have to' read the Shamer's daughter because he loved the book very much and he insists on me to do so :roll: ... But this kind of story is really not my cup of tea as I do not like fantasy books ! :(

I really did enjoy reading the messenger bird though! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now