Pork past sell-by!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Pork past sell-by!

Post by fatbananas »

I have a packet of Waitrose pre-prepared crusted pork which I was going to feed the family with this evening. I bought two packets and one I've just noticed has a sell-by/ eat-by of 20th May. Do you think it will still be ok to cook? I know there is some controversy over best-by etc dates. I can't bear the waste but, of course, have no wish to poison my family!! Any advice gratefully received! :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Re: Pork past sell-by!

Post by mystery »

:lol: Best question on here by a mile.

Cut in to the pastry and have a good sniff before you cook it?
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hello FatBananas,

We generally eat all veggies/fruit and yoghurt past sell by (if it survives that long in our fridge)

Non veg - all meats/fish would be unfortunately binned - with a little moan from OH about wasting food.

You could however rely on your judgement, OH is convinced that the sell by dates mean nothing. But then he eats kiwis with the skin on :shock:

Sleepy
mystery

Post by mystery »

I've had chicken that smells vile on day 1 when you open the wrapper although it has looked fine.

If you're not on Elevenplus exams tomorrow FB we'll know what happened.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Chicken often smells a bit odd when you take it out of a packet, I find. I would probably cook the pork, if your fridge is relatively cold (ours is very cold in the meat compartment so I would definitely cook it). As long as it is well cooked it should be fine, I would have thought. Unless there are any green bits, or it really pongs :D
scary mum
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

mystery wrote:I've had chicken that smells vile on day 1 when you open the wrapper although it has looked fine.

If you're not on Elevenplus exams tomorrow FB we'll know what happened.
You don't think I'm going to eat it do you? That one's going to the kids :lol: ahem ...

I've looked at it and it looks fine, and if it were lamb or beef, I wouldn't mind, but I think pork has some sort of worm issue (??? vague memory???), so perhaps I shouldn't risk it. Wednesdays is club night for both DS's. What do I cook now which is quick and easy? I see bowls of cereal beckoning ...

Scary mum, just seen your message. No green bits, apart from the herbs in the parsnip crust, and no pong at all. Hmmm ....
mystery

Post by mystery »

Pork always needs cooking really well, fresh or not there is the risk that you mention FB.

Oh the chicken I referred to is bad enough to make you faint - not just that funny smell that goes away.

Nothing wrong with bowls of cereal for the adults while the children feast on the suspect pork. Feed it to them before the clubs then they will be sick elsewhere and spare your carpets.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

mystery wrote:Nothing wrong with bowls of cereal for the adults while the children feast on the suspect pork. Feed it to them before the clubs then they will be sick elsewhere and spare your carpets.
As always, Mystery, you're one step ahead of me. 8)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Glad you liked the advice - just hope you're not coming our way this evening!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Bin, bin, bin I'm afraid. I too hate throwing food away and I must admit that fruit, veg and things like cheese get eaten well past the dates on the packet, but I won't risk it with meat, fish and eggs or funnily enough orange juice - DH was very very ill after orange juice that was a few days over.