How many hours tutoring per week? 2hrs? 4hrs?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RahRah

How many hours tutoring per week? 2hrs? 4hrs?

Post by RahRah »

Per week: Some tutors have recommended 2 hours. Some 4?

I would be interested to hear your views.
hongkong

Re: How many hours tutoring per week? 2hrs? 4hrs?

Post by hongkong »

I think it depends on what you define as tutoring. Some people would count the time with a tutor, and not the homework. I have heard some people who have said they didn't get their child tutored, but did it themselves ( to me that is tutoring!) Also depends if your child is at a state school, or a private one where they prepare them in school. Of course it also depends on how your child is getting on with the work. Also you have to consider how much time have you got to help them.

Most people I know from state schools have sent their child to an outside tutor once a week for a 1 and a half to 2 hour lesson. Then they would need to complete either 3 papers a week, or other pieces of work from the tutor. So for my child she went to the tutor on Tuesdays, did a paper on Friday, Sat and Sunday. Then school hw has to fit in too.

I know some people do a paper every day, that's pretty intense though. I think a number of people cram just before the 11plus as well. I heard people talking about it outside the school. They basically send their child to a tutor every day for 2 weeks before the exam.

My sister's girls both went to private schools, so they were prepared at school. She tutored them herself and did about half an hour every day. She didn't do papers, as that was covered at school. She went over specific things like learning opposites, specific maths questions etc.

Good luck!
Shaun.R

Post by Shaun.R »

Hi all,

Our son currently has 3 hours a week of maths and english tuition, we feel that anything more than this can be quite draining for him, plus he has additional homework tasks that his tutor sets for him. Our tutor is excellent at his job and doesn't push for any extra hours, as he feels and so do we that it is enough time to get through the main topics each week. I know some parents who have their tutors coming almost every day, but in my opinion this is very extreme.

Hope this information is useful, and if you have any questions let me know

Shaun
Biya

Post by Biya »

I advise regular work for 30 mins to 50 mins at least 3-5 days a week. It could be a writing task, a Maths paper or a book review.. Most kids do well with this regime.
Last edited by Biya on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A passionate educator is like a candle, she/he burns to give light & warmth to kids... all of them.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

if child is in top 3 in class, then no more than 30mins per day is needed. Also cross check against wordy type test papers to see if child has truly learnt the principles. It is easy to use technique to answer most questions, but can the child apply the principles in an alien format type test paper? that is the million dollar question.
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

dd's tutor doesn't think there is anything to be gained by over tutoring. dd goes to her for one hour a week and thinks that is more than enough and that more than that isn't necessarily a good thing alhtough in my opinion it has alot to do with the school your dd is at and their ability naturally
RAB321

Post by RAB321 »

Time spent with a tutor really depends on the child and the subjects.
You can't expect to stuff 4 subjects into 2hours ESP if the child has weaknesses.

But I know tutors who are entry honest and will tell you exactly how many hours you should have. Always use your own instincts too. A fried of mine sent her daughter to a tutor for 6hrs pw for £80 and the tutor would do group sessions without parents....if its your first time in the 11+ process some patents would do anything the tutor says.....I know I would

My sister used a tutor who insisted on 2hrs and then thetutorchanged to 1hr as the child improved. The tutor didn't take advantage, was professional and had a 100% pass rate because of the way the couple restricted their intake (5 kids per year max)...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Nobody can really answer this question without knowing what stage your dc is currently at and what exams he/she is sitting. The level your dc needs to reach will depend on the ratio of applicants to spaces. Another forum member mentioned today that there has been two thousand applicants for one hundred and eighty places at Latymer and there could well be that number for QE boys and sixteen hundred for one hundred places at HBS and nine hundred for sixty five places at DAO. The level to gain places at these schools is therefore much much higher. What is the ratio at the schools you are interested in and what sorts of levels are you getting on mock papers, that will determine how much more preparation you have to do. DG
modernista

Post by modernista »

Agree completely with Daogroupie. That is why a mock test with a large cohort is useful. We overprepared. Could have done half the work. But could we take the risk?
ginx

Post by ginx »

I tutored my daughter, I suppose. For about six weeks in the holidays, maybe three times a week, we alternated between Bond maths/vr/nonvr. We did a few other papers too.

After the exam, she said the Bond maths had helped, otherwise nothing had. However, she learned to sit down and do a timed test, just at home.

We didn't cram at all. We did nothing at all the week before the exam as I didn't want her stressed. Before that we attempted to make a "mock" and she did so badly we just sort of gave up. I didn't want her to feel under pressure.

Every dc is different and obviously every area is different - we don't have "super selectives", it sounds easier, less competition for places, here.

I find it strange to think of myself as a tutor :shock: but I should think she did an hour or so a week. I spent most of the holidays thinking "we should be doing something" rather than actually doing any work.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now