TWGSB starters Sept 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Villagedad

TWGSB starters Sept 2013

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

It would be good to hear from those who have DS's starting at TWGSB (Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys) this September, and also would welcome information from families with boys already there so all us newbies to the school have a smooth transition.

Many thanks in advance :)
Villagedad
U400JB9

Re: TWGSB starters Sept 2013

Post by U400JB9 »

I did smile when I saw this :D

Has it sunk in yet?

Enjoy
Catney

Post by Catney »

Hi

My DS is starting at TWGSB in September, but we're newbies there too so no advice to offer! Will watch the thread with interest though.
Minty

Post by Minty »

Hello Village Dad and Catney,

Congratulations on your boys' places at TWGSB!! I have a very happy, non-sporty Ds in Yr9 at the school and really can't say enough good things about it. The head is fantastic and I am sure your boys will do very well there.
Best advice is to join as many clubs as they wish - it is a big school and this way they will quickly get to meet the boys in their own and other classes, with common interests. There are lots of them covering sport, art, music, graphics, maths etc. You can find list of current ones on school website (under Enrichment > clubs & societies) to give you an idea.

Hope this helps,
Minty
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Minty wrote:Hello Village Dad and Catney,

Congratulations on your boys' places at TWGSB!! I have a very happy, non-sporty Ds in Yr9 at the school and really can't say enough good things about it. The head is fantastic and I am sure your boys will do very well there.
Best advice is to join as many clubs as they wish - it is a big school and this way they will quickly get to meet the boys in their own and other classes, with common interests. There are lots of them covering sport, art, music, graphics, maths etc. You can find list of current ones on school website (under Enrichment > clubs & societies) to give you an idea.

Hope this helps,
Minty
Thanks Minty great idea

On another note, is the amount of homework a big step up from primary, i.e. do they get some every night and to do over the weekend?

mystery

Post by mystery »

Got family member finishing there. Never did homework at the weekends until the 6th form. And then not much. Great head. Seems to have remedied a lot of past weaknesses. Some teachers are clearly not great, but at worst you get them for one year in one subject. Not like primary where you can be saddled full-time for a year or more. Child does not have to be "loud get noticed" type to do extremely well there, get to be senior prefect etc. Lots of different types of boy there. Joining clubs is good, not joining clubs is good. The boy in question felt that joining clubs took you away from your friends!

School has a core of lazy kids still, but working hard and doing well is not considered uncool - it's possibly quite admired. How that has been achieved I don't know. Hats off to the head.
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

Hi. Please may I join your thread?

Ds starting and will not know a soul.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

jaymum wrote:Hi. Please may I join your thread?

Ds starting and will not know a soul.
welcome jaymum :)

sorry to hear about skinners but looking forward to your comments about twgsb

our ds has one friend going from his school. which gs are your ds's friends going to?
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

Hi Villagedad. None of ds's friends passed so they're all going to local comp.

Does anyone know - do we need all the items from the uniform list? It's just that I know from older children at other schools that this is not always the case. For example "you won't need rugby boots til after Easter next year" or "don't know why we bothered buying the d&t apron, we've never used it"
Just think I'd like to know now, before I go on a spending spree!!
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Jaymum. You definitely need the apron. They use it for Art and DT and if they dont have it on a day they have the subject they have to 'hire' one for a fee!
My son is in year ten and has never worn his tracksuit bottoms however he isn't that sporty so maybe if you DS will be doing clubs and stuff it may be worth it. Try and buy second hand though. The school has a excellent second hand shop and you can pick up everything you need. My DS has high street store black PE shorts and so do all the others apparently.
Same with trousers and shirts and black PE socks.. They need plain white socks for PE too when indoors.
You need the rugby top and everyday PE top as they are used regularly. Football is usually Autumn term and Rugby Spring. My DS has Footwear that double up many things as the have the new sports pitch. Again, I would hold back or look to second hand unless DS particularly sporty. I wouldnt get swept into buying the mouthguard that they have fitted at school unless you really want it. My DS used his once before he grew out of it and we used the DIY ones which were fine.
As far as homework is concerned I have to disagree with previous posting. DS has always had consistently high levels of homework from year 7 and always at weekend. Its always been a pain that a lot of work has had to be completed the following day (something I have written to the school about) . They get 3 half hour homeworks a night and this is almost always set.
Hope this helps. Happy to answer any other queries. TM