Some interesting stats

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bns

Re: Some interesting stats

Post by bns »

I agree it shocked me when I looked up the stats, although I think AGSB is a one off , but AGGS VA is remarkable right up there with top Indies, how do they do it??
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Maybe the amount of homework has something to do with it. :D
bns

Post by bns »

interesting answer, but not very illuminating(I'm sure you meant it "tongue in cheek"xx )heres my analysis, below are some stats for A levles comparing ABGS and AGGS to the other top schools in the N.W
the first figure are the total number 6th formers taking the exam , the second the total uccas points the third ,points ave per A level and the last the % of acadamic subjects taken( the 3 sciences, maths-further maths, history, geography, English,FML and the Classics i.e facilitating subjects for Russell Group Unis)
copied and pasted from the telegraph 2012 A level results using the compare facility

Withington Girls' School 86 1196.3 264.3 48%
The Manchester Grammar School 183 1003.2 266.2 43%
Manchester High School for Girls 84 1021.3 261.1 25%
The Grange School 96 1081.5 262.1 36%
The King's School 111 940 253.4 30%
The Queen's School 44 1017.4 264.4 36%
Stockport Grammar School 128 907.6 251.4 35%
Cheadle Hulme School 138 876.8 249.9 23%
Bolton School Boys' Division 94 995.9 235.6 43%
Bolton School Girls' Division 98 1013.2 245.7 29%
Altrincham Grammar School for Boys 157 1127.6 237.7 29%
Altrincham Grammar School for Girls 144 1253.9 249 29%
Bury Grammar School Boys 44 958.3 234.9 20%
Bury Grammar School Girls 72 999.7 240.3 15%
The King's School In Macclesfield 117 897.9 237.7 19%

now when considering the total point AGGS and ABGS does very well, but when considering the quality of the A levels and the the grades achieved in these these more robust subjects not so well.
it seems to me that the grammars are doing more but less robust Alevels compared to the very best Indies.
look at MGS total score only 1003 one of the lowest scores there , but points avearge per Alevel are the highest but also has the highest % of A levels that are core subjects(except for WGS)
in short quality over quantity resulting in aprox 25% Oxbridge/UCL entry
the devil is in the detail!
not quite sure how this translates to the VA with regards to the top 8 gcse VA are the grammar kids just doing a very high % of texile/media studies to boost their figurs(I doubt it both schools are very acadamic so due credit should be given), but remmemder top schools like WGS,MGS, GRANGE ect do iGCSE'S much harder and more robust exams.

IMO and as I have said before I am often wrong
have a look at this link i have made just to prove the point!!!
http://rankings.ft.com/secondary-school ... 021|255421
try different viarables/schools yourselves and you get completely different out-comes to the telegraph figures it's crazy!!
how are parents to work out whats go-going on!! :roll:
agsbmad

s

Post by agsbmad »

I was wondering about it myself:

MGS - 43%
Alty boys/girls - 29%
Stretford - 15%
Sale - 14%
St Ambrose - 10%
Urmston - 8%

Lymm High - 12%
Wilmslow high - 11%
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... 7471364106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does it mean that Lymm/Wilmslow are more academic than St Ambrose and Urmston?

I've also seen some Oxbridge statistics, there is hardly anybody going from Alty and virtually nobody from Sale/Urmston/St Ambrose.
bns

Post by bns »

bns wrote:Does it mean that Lymm/Wilmslow are more academic than St Ambrose and Urmston?
probably?
It may expalin why most parents in Lymm care little for the grammars in Trafford!
in my DD primary only 2 applied for the the grammars both passed and going indie anyway!my dd and a boy who scored a massive 418 at ABGS 11+ who won a scholarship at The Grange a Oxbridge "shoe in "
some savy parents in Hale send their kids to Little Bollington which is a feeder school for LH and are in catchment for Alty boys school( and lower pass mark required), not so relevant to AGGS since all girls in Lymm who pass get in.
or even more savy parents who move to WA13 postcodes like Warbuton/Dunham who send their DC to Lymm primaries so gain almost automatic entry to LH , yet are in catchment for ABGS.
There is no limit to the ingenuity of such well informed parents!!
I know from a very reliable source, that the top sets( top 25%) at LH are on par as any Grammars in Trafford
I wish I had this level knowledge before I started this torturous journey , I could of saved myself a lot of unnecessary stress :lol:
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Hi, In defence of St Ambrose, I do recall reading on their website last year that the Telegraph actually made a mistake when disclosing these results and in fact St Ambroses were considerably higher than they had stated ( I was surprised at the time as they were lower than Wilmslow High and other Cheshire East Schools) I can't recall exactly what they were although they were not as high as ABGS or AGGS which of course is usually the case.
Last edited by wilmslowmum on Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

I dont have children at either school, however my friends are very happy with Wilmslow High School some of which have very academic children and they certainly progress very well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now