test scores help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
missieme61

test scores help

Post by missieme61 »

Hi I know I am not supposed to ask about test scores but I am due to enter my ds for the test and I want to know if these scores on tests we have done at home would be a pass in the real test, ds needs 120 in all tests, he will be 10.6 years when he takes it. The NVR is 69 out of 85. VR 71 out 0f 80. Quant 38 out of 45. These are things we have done at home, what would the scores be for each out of 120 ?..thanks I am new to this.
pheasantchick

Re: test scores help

Post by pheasantchick »

The pass mark varies each year.

However, if you look n the Kent forum page, there is a thread entitled "2010 required raw scores". This should give you an idea of what is needed. Page no. 7 has the 2011 scores.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Also, remember you are not doing "real" papers at home - unless you have secret access to past papers! So it's impossible for anyone to know if those scores you quote from some book of mock papers or other would be a "pass" in the real thing.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

I agree to some extent mystery. That said, I found out DS's raw scores from Kent CC and they were very similar to what he had been scoring in practice papers at home (maths was lower than what he had been getting, but VR and NVR were about what I would have expected).
missieme61

Post by missieme61 »

Thanks, I think I will ask a teacher at ds school. x
mystery

Post by mystery »

Which papers are you both talking about? I don't think a teacher is even going to be able to start to answer if you aren't a little bit more specific .... and I'd like to see the look on the teacher's face. They'd shoot you at our Kent primary if you asked such a question I'm afraid!

If you look at past data on here for the real exam you'll see that pass raw scores can be round about 50% of questions correct giving a "pass" standardised score of around 120, and that scores of 140 (the highest standardised score that is usually quoted in Kent) can be around 75% or more of questions correct.

I think you will find that parents of children on this website quote higher percentage than this in the various "practice papers" that they do at home. I take the quoting of home scores with a pinch of salt though as you don't know whether the test conditions were truly adhered to, or which papers parents are talking about on here. They are usually delightfully vague.

You haven't said which papers you are talking about Missieme that you quote raw scores for. If they are GL assessment papers (the ones that are the closest you are going to get to the last exam of this type in Kent this September) even then it is hard to judge whether this would represent a pass in Kent or not. The GL assessment practice papers are intended to show you the types of questions that might occur. Each paper is not individually supposed to represent the kind of mix of questions that the real paper will consist of. I don't think they are GL assessment papers you are using though as you use the title "quant". GL assessment calls it mathematics in the practice papers that are the best ones for Kent.

I am afraid that if there was an answer to your quesiton I am sure that GL assessment would by now have thought of selling a standardisation table for each practice paper so that you could look up your child's score and see if it was likely to represent a pass in Kent or not.

At the moment my year 4 child is working through Bond assessment papers in maths for age 9-10. Percentages correct vary from 80% to 94%. I really don't know whether this means she will pass the real thing in a year's time .... even harder to predict now that the test is changing.

The most important thing is that your child is prepared to bash on with a paper on the day when they realise that they are not getting everything right - remember that a pass is around 50% correct. Most children who hover around the pass mark on the day don't realise they got that many wrong, but there are children who are very aware that they are getting things wrong, it stresses them in the exam, and they don't hit the pass mark as a consequence.

Good luck.
missieme61

Post by missieme61 »

Thank you mystery, we have been doing bond papers at home also at my sons school, they have an after school club for children who will do the test. My ds is doing well both at home and at school so fingers crossed for a good result. He does tend to hold back if he is not sure he has got a question right so we are gently telling him to move on to the next and go back at the end and look at it again. :|
mystery

Post by mystery »

You are lucky. It is is unusual to have a school that does Bond papers. Which ones? Bond publishes all sorts of stuff. Which year is he taking the test? Beware the changes.
METINSOLO

Post by METINSOLO »

Hi bondgirl and others
I wonder if there are any tips you might share as to how you prepared your dc for the test as I believe your dc was one of the high scorers. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
doodles

Post by doodles »

For DS we used the bond papers and the GL Assessment packs. We also found the bond 10 minute tests useful - though not all would agree :wink:

We practiced the timed sections and then also made sure they had some idea how long a certain amount of time was (if a section was 6 questions in 3 minutes we made sure that they had an idea of how long 30 seconds was) - we knew that for DS1 timing was going to be the thing and for the other we knew he would have a problem leaving a question that he couldn't do and moving on. It might seem a bit OTT but it gave them the confidence that they needed.

However for both DS2 and DS1 it was practice practice practice that got them there, they did something everyday all through the summer holidays and it worked very well as they both scored very well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now