Tips from 2012 parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
METINSOLO

Tips from 2012 parents

Post by METINSOLO »

Dear 2012 parents
I had this message wedge in another post but on second thought I realise most 2012 parent might not see it hence I decided to create this post.
As the time draws nearer and 2013 parent like myself starts to panic I wonder if the vibrant 2012 parent, bondgirl, neurotickentmum, pheasant chick, scarlett, dottie1974, doodles, anotherworriedmum, muggle, villagedad, GPmum, penguin, tigger2, U400JB9 and many others would like to relive their experiences and share tips and advice for us 2013 parent on keeping sane till September or would that be March 2014 :?: Any tips on how to work with our dcs i.e having a timetable, managing tantrums, dcs getting things wrong, when to start full papers, did you work with your dcs till the day before the test, incorporate new food before the big day etc…….
The problem for me is that I am not organised and as result no specific time to do things and I feel we should have a timetable and so I am worried that might make a difference as to passing or not.

I would like to thank anotherworriedmum and doodles for giving their tips and advice in the original post. Anymore would be greatly welcome.

I must also say that the 2012 takers post has been very very helpful and informative as what one should be doing with their dc at a point in time.

I also know Kingspen is not a 2012 parent but a tutor and must have lots of tips and advice and hope he be able to share some with us.

Sorry for the ramble and thank you.
U400JB9

Re: Tips from 2012 parents

Post by U400JB9 »

:D

If you've trawled through the 2012 thread you have stamina :shock:

We were ill prepared this time around due to various circumstances. With DD1 we were more organised. Over the summer holidays she did GL papers as often as she could, it wasn't so much about the scores she was getting, but familiarising her with the papers and getting her used to the timings. Before the holidays we did GL papers as a one off each weekend.

Preparing you?.....stick on here as everyone shares your pain ....it's not fun, but knowing I have one thriving at grammar and one starting in Sept is great. Bit like having a baby, the pain fades quickly when you get the result.
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

My DS1 went through the process 2011 and DS2 is sitting 11+ in Sept.
DS1 had tutoring once a week since x-mas, no other 11+ work during the weeks since tutor judged that it was not necessary.

During summer holiday he had no tutor at all. He did a bit 11+ work every day, 30-45 min, depending on his mood and motivation. Mainly Bond or GL Assessment. He usually did it straight after breakfast, when, in our house, nothing fun happens - just boring stuff like clearing away breakfast, make the beds, etc. so he never felt he missed out on anything fun. Rather the opposite - he got out of some chores! During the rest of the day, 11+ was never mentioned or discussed in front of DS. But he knew that the daily 11+ work was non-negotiable.

I am a great believer in quality over quantity - rather a short session with 100% focus than hours pouring over books and tests.

In the end DS1 got full marks so I guess this plan worked very well for him (and the rest of the family)! We are going down the same route with DS2 and hopefully it will work for him as well.
doodles

Post by doodles »

A common theme seems to be coming out here - little and often /quality rather than quantity - it worked for us twice but as with WKM the daily schedule was non-negotiable :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's difficult to jump to conclusions because it so much depends on the starting point your child is at. And this can depend so much on the school they are at, and the group they have been placed in etc etc.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Don't compare your dc to others and remember your dc will progress at a different rate and will have strengths. I worried about dd's maths - but in the exam she scored best at maths.

She insists the practice we did wasn't really any help. But I think working under timed conditions - we put the clock in front of her for Bond 10 minute tests.

I agree, doodles - little and often was better for us. I spent most of the summer last year feeling guilty we should have done more.

Stay on here for your own sanity as well as advice and support :D

It's such a good feeling it's all over now. Well, till ds2 is in year 6.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

With both my dc's, I think I ticked along over the summer. We did regular papers. If time was short, or I felt resistance, then the 10 minute tests were useful. We spent more time over weaker areas.

The main advice I have is not to over do it. You don't want them to peak too early, or suffer from 11+ fatigue. I went with the flow, so at times, we didn't do anything.

Big advice - don't talk to other parents. Every child is different, works at their own pace, have their own strengths and weaknesses etc.

Finally, red wine! ( or whatever your particular tipple is). Essential!
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

pheasantchick wrote: Big advice - don't talk to other parents. Every child is different, works at their own pace, have their own strengths and weaknesses etc.

Finally, red wine! ( or whatever your particular tipple is). Essential!
Definitely, also, don't let DC be sabotage by other children. We had on girl who repeatedly told DD2 she was to thick.......( .smug comment could follow here :shock: :shock: :shock: )

Wine and chocolate.......essential
doodles

Post by doodles »

Soooooooooooo agree that other parents are a complete no no! It really isn't important how their dc is doing, it is completely irrelevant and they are probably not telling you the truth anyway!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

doodles wrote:Soooooooooooo agree that other parents are a complete no no! It really isn't important how their dc is doing, it is completely irrelevant and they are probably not telling you the truth anyway!
Not probably.

They are almost definitely not telling you the truth (for a variety of reasons). Safest to assume that anything you can't avoid being told is not true, and if you can possibly help it, avoid giving any information yourself (otherwise you may find yourself telling porkies too).

It is actually a blessing that you won't see many parents over the holidays, and in September it is better to 'drop and run' and not to chat. Unfortunately the DC can't do that, and one important piece of preparation is dealing with other children.