GL/ NFER etc

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

GL/ NFER etc

Post by fatbananas »

I'm getting very confused. Can anyone tell me, is GL the same as NFER? Did one buy the other out? Or are they both owned by the same company but produce different sorts of question papers???
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Reading Mum

Re: GL/ NFER etc

Post by Reading Mum »

GL is the new name for NFER but some schools still refer to the old name. My DD's target school say it is NFER but use GL papers for familiarisation so that is particularly unhelpful
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Reading Mum! And just to add to the confusion, does GL have anything to do with Bond, either by way of being part of the same company, or because their question types are similar? :?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

not as far as I know. We didn't use bond as it wasn't relevant for us
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thankyou again for clearing my fog!
borax

Post by borax »

NFER and GL Assessment are NOT the same thing! NFER is a registered charity; GL Assessment a private company owned by InvestCorp, a Bahrain based investment company.

I gather that Granada Learning (GL's earlier version) and NFER had close links way back in the past (in a venture called NFERNelson, which closed), and NFER and GL Assessment continue to carry out some work together, but NFER is primarily a registered Charity at the forefront of Educational Research. As far as I'm aware, any continuing NFER links with GL derive mainly from NFER's unparalleled strength and reputation in educational assessment and test development - I think GL commission them to do work for them?

NFER have also recently started selling their own new optional tests direct to schools. So it's all a bit confusing!

They definitely aren't the same thing though!
mystery

Post by mystery »

And, there are some nfer developed tests which are published and sold by gl assessment e.g progress in English. It gives an nc equivalent. Teachers at school and parents on here are not very precise so yes, half the time it does seem like all these things are one and the same. E.g. "We use bond". Yes. There are loads of different things in the full bond catalogue.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Glad I asked!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now