11 plus books for 2014

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nan

11 plus books for 2014

Post by nan »

Which edition of Swiss Family Robinson is suitable for this years 11 plus and where can I buy that? If anybody knows, please clear my doubt.Many thanks.
Last edited by nan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Re: 11 plus in 2014 in bucks books.

Post by scary mum »

I'm not sure why a particular book would be suitable for the Buck 11 plus? Maybe just wide reading would be useful?
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe this an important clue to this year's CEM paper? It could be.
nan

Post by nan »

Heard that they are going to use this particular book for cloze.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How would anyone know?

If it was on the Year 6 trial then it certainly won't be used ...

The cloze (if there is one) may not even be from a novel.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I very much doubt that the paper has even been written yet. When it is I am sure that security for it will be intense and will be no chance of content being leaked in advance.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

...and if they were ever planning to use that book, they won't now! :wink:

Good story, mind. Though I preferred the film. :)
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

It would seem a little odd if anyone knew the book they were definitely going to use and leaked it.

How do the trials work though if they don't test questions they will put in a question bank?

The kent spec suggests that real test items will be on sale to a specific educational market - who is this? Also it suggests that questions can be ones from a bank that have been used in real tests in another area in the past.

Both of these points suggest to me that potentially some people could have an unfair educational advantage over others - far more so than tutoring for the gl assessment tests currently confers.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:It would seem a little odd if anyone knew the book they were definitely going to use and leaked it.

How do the trials work though if they don't test questions they will put in a question bank?

The kent spec suggests that real test items will be on sale to a specific educational market - who is this? Also it suggests that questions can be ones from a bank that have been used in real tests in another area in the past.

Both of these points suggest to me that potentially some people could have an unfair educational advantage over others - far more so than tutoring for the gl assessment tests currently confers.
Ooh, I do love a conspiracy theory mystery :D . I wonder what lengths people might go to...tracking down questions, sleuth-like, from other areas? Offering bribes to educational publishing staff; slipping in a few quid to choose a particular book? Maybe even getting a job in one of the publishers with a view to giving one's child a leg-up with inside information? I smell a money-making opportunity here - set up an agency offering to do it all for you. The next 'Cash for Questions' scandal perhaps?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I'm just intrigued as to how the OP came by the information - it's so specific and is worded as though it's common knowledge, i.e. printed in a syllabus somewhere! :?
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now