Punctuation Marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kpmum

Punctuation Marks

Post by kpmum »

I'm confused about how punctuation is marked in the CSSE English papers and wondered (having searched the Essex forum without success) if anyone has a clear answer please?

From looking at past papers, it seems that the marks for the punctuation section have increased from 6-8 marks for earlier papers to 12 marks for more recent papers. I only have the CSSE answers for a few of the papers I possess.

It seems that for the earlier papers, only 1 mark is given for open AND closed speech marks (i.e. "....."), yet for more recent papers, 1 mark is given for both the opening speech marks AND the closing speech marks. Also, the earlier papers seem to only give 1 mark for two pieces of punctuation (e.g. a comma AND a full stop), yet for more recent papers, 1 mark is given for each.

Does anyone know the current marking system please, as punctuation are an easy(ish) way to pick up vital marks?

Thanks in advance.
talea51

Re: Punctuation Marks

Post by talea51 »

Sorry, no idea how they mark it now. I only have old papers, I don't have any of the recent ones.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

My understanding is that the consortium schools take it in turns to write the English and Maths papers. As such it is very difficult to predict things like marking schemes as a different teacher next year may decide to do it differently.
bravado

Post by bravado »

Having lived through the 11+ twice now, I would advise that you don't get too caught up in worrying about how much each is type of punctuation is worth. Hope that doesn't sound too condescending because it isn't meant to - it's only that you can get utterly bogged-down with the minutiae of it all and stress where you don't need to.
All I'd focus on, is ensuring that your DC is very competent at knowing what goes where, and that you can pick up good marks from the spelling and punctuation sections :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now