Mirena users?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mm23292

Mirena users?

Post by mm23292 »

Having asked the few ladies I know who have had this, and generally it seems with good experience, albeit with a few minor 'settling in' issues, I'm wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with theirs? I had mine inserted nearly three weeks ago during surgery for something else, and for the first week or so I was absolutely fine, didn't even require painkillers after surgery. But since then I am in constant pain..sharp, stabbing pains, terrible permanent back ache and have developed a swollen pouch that could pass for a 6 month pregnancy! Apparently, some people react this way and they won't do anything until the three to six month settling-in period is up. Three to six months?! :shock: Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or is this 'minor side-effect' really, as I am told, all that 'rare'??
daughter

Re: Mirena users?

Post by daughter »

I remember feeling as though I was in labour after having it inserted. I had not realised it was any big deal so had gone by myself to the Dr's surgery then walked into town with a view to a leisurely pm browsing etc ... instead had to catch a taxi home as I couldn't move due to back pain and stomach cramps ... the type I have only experienced during early labour. Apparently it is due to your cervix having been opened. The pains you are talking about sound a bit disconcerting though. I think mine settled after a few days. Maybe seek medical advice (or call 111!!!).
Hope you are feeling better soon.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Ring the practice nurse for advice. That sounds slightly more than expected. I'm told, if you have it inserted to control heavy periods, the symptoms are worse and the settling in period longer.
I had no pain etc, but the spotting is still sporadic 12 months on

Good luck
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I had nagging pains for about a month. Sharp pain sounds a bit scary, doesn't it, I think I'd definitely want that checked out. Bloatedness could be due to trapped air after surgery? I might be tempted to go down to a&e and wait it out - more likely to get a scan there to reassure you?
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Not a dr but I think ailportico is right and you should seek medical advice just to be on the safe side.

Hope you feel better soon.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

aliportico wrote:I had nagging pains for about a month. Sharp pain sounds a bit scary, doesn't it, I think I'd definitely want that checked out. Bloatedness could be due to trapped air after surgery? I might be tempted to go down to a&e and wait it out - more likely to get a scan there to reassure you?
You won't get a scan in A&E, if your practice nurse is worried the .GP will arrange an urgent one. Chances are she'll be able to reassure you, even if she has to delve in for a look for string etc
Kit

Post by Kit »

Last edited by Kit on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Go get treatment - a and e, private, whatever it takes. It sounds wrong and even if this is "normal" not what you want.

Go on a day trip somewhere with a good hospital and drop in to a and e saying you are out for the day and can't stand the pain any longer. Or try a hospital with a drop in genito urinary clinic. They'll have someone v experienced to advise you. 111 is waste of time for you. Or emergency gp appointment at your practice with a different gp. But it does really sound like you need to cut out the middle man.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Sorry - I am with the others, seek medical advice. I have never had any problems with any of mine - had three now and the wonderful thing is that it acts as part of HRT for the older woman! Such a wonderful invention.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Well I got myself an appointment yesterday, having argued with a secretary who haughtily declared that all women suffer period type pains in the first few weeks, and it's completely normal. But I insisted.. I had an IUD before with the usual initial few days of cramping, this is completely different, and after 30 years of periods and four labours, I think I know what period type pains are! Having seen the doctor, and endured quite simply, the rummage from **** :lol: , he declared it all seemed fine down there, (i.e. he could see the strings) despite the fact I nearly hit the roof when he ventured towards the left. I asked if it was possible that it had 'lodged' somewhere, and he laughed and said I had a 'great imagination'!! So apart from this constant back ache and terrible swollen soreness, why am I feeling a sharp stabbing pain when I move in bed or lean to one side, or simply shuffle my position on the sofa? These settling-in problems are normal...apparently. Give it time...and time I have, for my next appointment is in six weeks time :shock: How can a male doctor ever know what it feels like to have an alien object shoved where it 'by nature shouldn't' and then be expected to endure weeks of pain in their normal expectation of settling in?? I didn't even want the blooming thing in the first place, it was literally forced upon me as being the most effective option for counteracting the problems I did have. (Hyperplasia, polyps etc...but with all of that, I never had any pain!) Anyway, time will tell...and in the meantime, I shall try and keep that 'great imagination' of mine in check! :|
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now