Only a week to go...

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sleepless nights

Only a week to go...

Post by Sleepless nights »

My daughters have first 11plus next week (Bucks)... I'd always been told 'they'd sail through' and as I've always been a relaxed parent I didn't stress about tutors or practice papers very much, although we have done a wee bit at home. But now after 2 practice papers at school, I find the girls are NOT 'sailing through'... The marks are worrying low. So now I'm alternating between blind panic, beating myself up for not being more proactive on the practice front, and (in more rational moments), trying to work out how I can helo them in the last week...
ANY ADVICE gratefully received...
(And if anyone has any idea of the score needed to pass... I'm v confused about that!
Thanks...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sleepless nights

Poor you! Do remember that some children really don't take the practice papers seriously, the school may not be imposing rigorous test conditions - all sorts of things can go on. My son came home with a horrendous 42% on one paper, and I felt just like you must be feeling now, except he had been coached to within and inch of his life! (Huge mistake, by the way.)

At this late stage my best suggestion would be to buy the Tutors Verbal Reasoning CDs 1 & 2 (instant download from this site) and set each of them working at one of them. Identify from the practice papers which question types are causing them the most problems and focus on those.

The only questions that are not quite as easy to practice using the CDs are codes, where a pencil and paper really help for counting back and forth along the alphabet. I suggest that as an emergency measure you prepare lots of strips of paper with the alphabet on plus the last 5 letters added at the beginning and the first five added at the start, so:

V W Y X Y Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D E

Let the girls work at those types using the questions from the computer screen but using the pencil and paper for counting back and forth, and don't worry about the timing on those questions - using this method is bound to slow them down, but at least they will be getting some practice.

If there is a specific type that either of them are struggling with, post back and we will help you.

The pass mark is approximately 86%, but that will vary depending on their age. Are they by any chance August birthdays?

Very good luck - please let us know how you are getting on.

Sally-Anne
hope

Sleepless nights

Post by hope »

What is the pass mark for the Gloucester schools. Does anyone know what sort of percentage children should be getting on the NFER tests?
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Take a look at this guide from the site. it explains all the question types. Its not too late to purchase some practise papers from local library or even next day delivery from Amazon.

click here for guide
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You will also find that the folk in the office here at ElevenPlusExams will rush stuff to you if it's urgent. :D
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Sally-Anne wrote:You will also find that the folk in the office here at ElevenPlusExams will rush stuff to you if it's urgent. :D
Oh yes I should have said you can buy the papers here too :oops: It didn't occur to me as I didn't find this site until after buying my papers elsewhere.
patricia

Post by patricia »

removed
Catherine

Re: Only a week to go...

Post by Catherine »

Hi Sleepless nights,

Please don't beat yourself up, as you are only one of the many parents who is not aware of how much coaching is needed these days.

The Bucks tests have 21 question types, and you must use papers with all these types, like those advised by Sally-Anne and Patricia.
You can either use papers formatted like the real tests with most of the questions like The Tutors e-papers and CD2, or practice each type separately with something like CD1, or the IPS VR practice questions.
You can also have a look at The Tutors method and technique
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf
that shows how to tackle each type.
You could use some of the free downloads
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... wnload.php
in order to get an idea of what works best for your daughters. You need to remember that the exams are on paper so it is best to do a few pen an paper tests just before.
Considering this late stage, I would follow Sally-Anne suggestion of concentrating mostly on the problems areas by using a mix of test papers and question type practice.

Best of luck

Catherine
Sleeplessnights

Only a week to go...

Post by Sleeplessnights »

Thanks all for your help and kind words... I really wasn't prepared for how stressful this was going to be. Went for chat with teacher yesterday and also got some useful advice there... The next two weeks are going to be heads-down cramming time - all ballet and Brownies cancelled! (Big treat at end of 2 weeks tho) God knows how I'm going to fit in going to work! Made a bit of progress last night - girls doing another practice paper at school today - so fingers crossed! So frustrating because we all know they're definitely grammar-school fodder...
Good luck all!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now