Retesting in year 7 for grammer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stressing

Retesting in year 7 for grammer

Post by stressing »

Has anyone had a dd take an in-year test for SHSG? I was wondering what type of questions might be used and how difficult this route might be.
ToadMum

Re: Retesting in year 7 for grammer

Post by ToadMum »

DD has also been invited to retest on the 28th. I know that when they retested right at the beginning of the current year 8 the girls just took the same tests (at least in maths) as the SHSG girls were taking at the time. I did wonder whether this test would be their year 7 end of year exams, but they were in May, I think. Unfortunately Cecil. Jones does have end of year exams on that morning, so I shall have to speak to someone there first thing tomorrow morning to try to arrange a separate sitting for DD...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
stressing

Post by stressing »

I wondered if they would use those papers too. :) I had just started to think that dd would have to stay at the school she is at. I'm not sure how im going to be but dd is quite calm. What will be will be I suppose. Good luck to your dd.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Good luck to yours, too! I have to say that although DD was allocated a school we hadn't even been to see (geography rather than prejudice), let alone put on her CAF, she is doing well there and they have been really good to her. We feel a bit guilty about her doing the SHSG test but it was the school she really wanted to go to so it would be silly not to take the opportunity to try now it has actually been offered.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Stressing - I have PM'd you (at least, I think I have :lol: ).
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Just out of sheer curiosity, what sort of test is it eg separate papers for english, maths, science etc or same as 11+?

Thanks
Clarabelle
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There are to be papers in Maths, English and Science, set by (I think, without going back downstairs to look for the letter!) the Heads of Department. Looking at the Year 7 Handbook on the SHSG site, DD remarked that there were two topics in Science that she hadn't done yet at her school - cue visit to bookshop and BBC Bitesize. Possibly there is some latitude with regard to order, although DD's Science teacher was away for quite a while so they may just be a bit behind :shock:

Given that CJC yr7 are only just doing their exams now, it would have been nice for her to have these as trial runs, I suppose, but of the three, she will only have English before the event as their Science is on July 3rd and she will now do the Maths paper she was meant to take on the same morning sometime that week as well. (I was really stressed about this aspect of telling them that DD would be away for the morning of the 28th but in the event it took all of ten minutes, I think, for the nice lady in the office to get an answer from the Head of Year and call me back :) ).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now