Timescale for moving to Watford Boys catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sutu123

Timescale for moving to Watford Boys catchment

Post by sutu123 »

Greetings,

Planning to move to 'in catchment' post code in Watford to try and have a better chance of getting into Watford Boys for my son. Can someone kindly confirm if it's mandatory for us to have moved into the 'in catchment' property for a specific amount of time before the application and/or test? E.g. do we need to be in the property for 12 months before applying to the school or before sitting the test?

Thanks,

Sutu
ajooba

Re: Timescale for moving to Watford Boys catchment

Post by ajooba »

I don't think there is any specific requirement. but be careful if you are looking to rent short term just to get a distance place, you may face scrutiny particularly if you already own a property elsewhere in the area. There are so few distance places that if other parents suspect you are trying to play the system to gain a place, they will report you.
WDmum

Post by WDmum »

As far as I am aware there are no set timescales and it is understandable that you are moving house to try and help your children get into a good school. However, having living in Watford for years, it is frustrating to see that people would use openly discuss moving here temporarily and taking places from children that have grown up in the area. My daughter has secured a selective place, but not one of her friends managed to even though they are all from the local area.
sutu123

Post by sutu123 »

We are not looking to rent on a temporary basis and currently do not live in Watford. We are planning to buy a property and stay there for the medium to long term but wanted to know if there are any restrictions in terms of duration before application. We don't want to be in a situation where we pay a lot of money to buy a property in the 'in catchment' area only to find that we are ineligible to apply due to length of residency.

We do appreciate your comments to our query.
WDmum

Post by WDmum »

It is a very expensive decision to move with no guarantee of a place. The school do carry out checks but if you are buying I cannot see how they can refuse a place if you have only recently moved into the area, might be best to call the school for advice before committing to buying a new house.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

I note that your original post stated moving to the inner catchment rather than outer, so I presume you are hoping for an academic place rather than distance. I think this is important as quite a lot of people have been caught out this year with the distance criteria shrinking enormously from around 900m to just 320. We live in a development right next door to watford boys yet we would have not got a place, we have lived here for 8 years and my eldest daughter has just got an inner catchment academic place at watford girls, so fortunately, unless the rules change again, my son will now get a cross sibling place, rather than a distance. I do have quite a few angry neighbours though whose sons have not gained places despite living within 500m of the school. By being in the inner catchment area rather than outer the score required is usually a little lower, and more achievable for those not educated in the private sector or tutored to the hilt.
sutu123

Post by sutu123 »

We weren't planning to rely on distance based places and certainly based on Mgnmum's response, it appears that this option is going to be extremely limited (bordering on miraculous!!).

Although trying for a place at Watford Boys is the top reason, it's not the sole reason for looking for buying a property in Watford.
Hera

Post by Hera »

If you check the Moving On to secondary school booklet which can be downloaded from the Herts CC website it gives you a timetable for all stages of the application process. From memory (so I might be wrong, as it didn't affect me) the latest date that you could change your address and keep an on time application was the December after the exam.
Toguptavikas

Post by Toguptavikas »

Hi, can you let me know if you checked with council or school and what was he outcome. Thanks
Macca7

Post by Macca7 »

I've just applied online for Hertfordshire schools and the last date for informing change of address this year is 6 December 2013.

Hope this helps
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now