Comprehension technique

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SleepyHead

Comprehension technique

Post by SleepyHead »

I am trying to teach DD a way of approaching a comprehension. I am sure there several different approaches - read comp first, read questions first etc.

I am really looking for some ideas on various different techniques -hoping that one of these will resonate with DD.

Thank you
SleepyHead
fatbananas

Re: Comprehension technique

Post by fatbananas »

Hi Sleepyhead,

Have you seen this thread? Might throw some pointers?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =1&t=29240

My DS seems to have a variety of techniques :roll: , but perhaps we'd better work out which is the quickest!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

thank you. :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Only please do not use the "only read the passage until you think you can answer the question technique" suggested. I write comprehension papers and the passage is an entity, it is not bits cobbled together. You need to read the whole passage before starting to answer the questions. I would recommend reading all the questions first and then the text and then go back and reread the first question. But there are many approaches and you should experiment until you find the one that works for you. DG
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

In some 11 plus tests students have reading time and are not allowed to begin writing in the answer booklet until this time is up although they are permitted to underline etc. Some questions necessitate students extracting or interpreting information from various sections of the extract - these are often the differentiating questions as many candidates will not be able to do this successfully. Read the whole passage.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now