SHSB - travel from Hockley and bagpipes!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Slogger

SHSB - travel from Hockley and bagpipes!

Post by Slogger »

DS is off to SHSB in September. Any views as to whether travel from Hockley is better by bus or train?

He's also quite musical but because of his Scots heritage is keen on the pipes. I don't suppose the music department at SHSB could cater for that? Does anyone know?
ToadMum

Re: SHSB - travel from Hockley and bagpipes!

Post by ToadMum »

If you have a choice between both the no. 7 and 8 buses then by the time he has walked from Prittlewell station to the school I am not sure that there is much in it, time-wise (says she without actually digging the timetables out, however),

Re bagpipes, over the last five years I have attended many concerts at SHSB, and have to say - trying but failing not to say 'mercifully' - that none of them has featured these. They have a ukelele band, though, so who knows what they might go in for next??
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

Quite a few children get the 7:40am train from hockey in the morning and they arrive back at 4:20 - same times I go to work. Train is often late by 5/10 mins in the morning. Hope that helps :?:
Slogger

Post by Slogger »

Thanks very much - I think the train is looking favourite. A couple of people have told me it's more reliable than the buses, which get stuck in traffic sometimes. I have also seen lads (both SHSB and WHSB waiting to get that train at 7.20 at Shenfield when I've been changing trains there on my way to Norwich for work. I think the train may be slightly cheaper too for an annual ticket?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Hockley to Norwich as a commute almost makes me feel a wimp for deciding on DS2's behalf that Chalkwell to KEGS was a non-starter after only doing it once for the open morning in March :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Slogger

Post by Slogger »

It's not a journey I do every day - but is quite pleasant. I agree that long commutes - -especially for young students -aren't ideal. KEGS was never a realistic option for my son - but I would have thought very hard before sending him there or to CRGS rather than the much closer Southend and Westcliff schools if he had been in the field to go there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now