CEM TYPE NVR Questions

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

CEM TYPE NVR Questions

Post by DIY Mum »

Since my 11+ journey is coming to an end -only dc Quintus remains to sit the test this summer- yay! :D And a fair few dps are new to CEM NVR: this may be of help. :idea:

From the various regional specimen papers which are sent out to dp on registration for the 11+ test, we can gather that dc encounter the following types: click on the blue font.

* Flip and rotate questions

* Matrices & movement sequences: addition, rotate, transpose or overlay

* Analogies and similarities type questions

And also, rotating 3d blocks– can’t find specimen questions provided to me for 2008 entry (B’ham) atm. Will upload if I do.

Enclosed below is a resource (3d rotating cubes) that I designed a while back using ds1's Bedlam cube :lol: and while it’s not professional, it’s been useful for my dc and pupils in that, rotating 3d q's are hard to find!

page 1:
page 2:
page 3
page 4

Feel free to use and also, if you make up your own- please share!

DIY Mum
Last edited by DIY Mum on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UmSusu

Re: CEM TYPE NVR Questions

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks DIYMum. Your posts have always been a great source for me :D but I am glad it is over for me (for now). Those sheets you produced are great !

Just to add, that there are a couple of apps out there that are helpful with the 3D aspects: there was one called 'cube it' and another called 'toy blocks'. The first one gets you to add or delete cubes to make the diagram and I used the second one to to help DSs visualise diagrams such as yours as you can move it around and see it from all angles (so you can hover over the top and see how a plan would be drawn etc). I found these helpful and fun but of course you can just use the old-fashioned real toy blocks!

I would also caution the CEM NVR is very tight on time: around 24 questions ( different types) in 7-8 minutes. In our case I found that DS was getting 85- 90% plus during the standard times allowed but when I restricted the times and got him to cover several types within the short time, his marks would drop to the 50s. I would say practice different types to get the techniques right but towards the end they really do need to build up speed.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

For those of you with Android devices there's a free "cubes spatial reasoning" app which covers the rotating cube type questions.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Thanks for these they're brill. My ds is taking the Bucks test in September. We've been doing a little bit of NVR practice, basically doing two of the Bond 10 min tests together (with a total time allowance of 10 mins) which gives around 3 or 4 different question types. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Is 24 questions in 10 mins enough questions or should we push the number up a bit.
2. We're using the Bond age 10-11+ books - are these hard enough or should we go for the 11-12 age ones?
3. Whilst the Bucks 11+ test is an unknown quantity I just wondered how fond CEM were of code type NVR questions.

My ds finds NVR quite straightforward so would I be deluding myself in thinking that with a bit of practice NVR could be a comparatively (?!) easy way of picking up a few marks.

Thanks xx
patricia

Post by patricia »

Hi Kittymum

I think the age group you are using is sufficient.

Personally I would try to use a variety of publishers. Perhaps look at some of the free papers on this site.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/free-1 ... ice-papers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NVR will take up 20% of the overall marks (Bucks)

Patricia
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Thanks Patricia I'll have a look at the ones listed. We've had the school presentation so have the different % - I'm hoping that with just a little bit of practice that the NVR section could take the pressure off my son a bit in the test, particularly as I think he may well get flustered in the numerical side of it - he more then has the ability but not sure how he will be up against the time, am hoping that practising long division / multiplication lots should ease that.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

DIY Mum wrote:Since my 11+ journey is coming to an end -only dc Quintus remains to sit the test this summer- yay! :D And a fair few dps are new to CEM NVR: this may be of help. :idea:

From the various regional specimen papers which are sent out to dp on registration for the 11+ test, we can gather that dc encounter the following types: click on the blue font.

* Flip and rotate questions

* Matrices & movement sequences: addition, rotate, transpose or overlay

* Analogies and similarities type questions

And also, rotating 3d blocks– can’t find specimen questions provided to me for 2008 entry (B’ham) atm. Will upload if I do.

Enclosed below is a resource (3d rotating cubes) that I designed a while back using ds1's Bedlam cube :lol: and while it’s not professional, it’s been useful for my dc and pupils in that, rotating 3d q's are hard to find!

page 1:
page 2:
page 3
page 4
page 5

Feel free to use and also, if you make up your own- please share!

DIY Mum

Could you tell me which book this paper is from? Or is it possible to have the paper without the answers marked. Thank You
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Thanks for sharing your hard work.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

leanmeamum wrote: Could you tell me which book this paper is from? Or is it possible to have the paper without the answers marked. Thank You
It's a DIY paper :)

Do you still require it? If so, send me a pm.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

DIY Mum wrote:
leanmeamum wrote: Could you tell me which book this paper is from? Or is it possible to have the paper without the answers marked. Thank You
It's a DIY paper :)

Do you still require it? If so, send me a pm.
Hi DIYMum
Could you please email me a copy to ***email removed***
Kind regards
Bob

Please use PM to rely your email address - Moderator