Learning chess as an adult

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2littleboysmum

Learning chess as an adult

Post by 2littleboysmum »

How easy is it for an adult (in this case, me) to learn chess? never learnt as a child, and my DH made one disastrous attempt to teach me the rudiments, which culminated in us playing a game in which he beat me in about 5 moves (I was still unsure of what the actual aim was). He is a rubbish teacher, and I vowed never to play with him again. Still, can't have the children knowing something I don't (yet, I know that will come in time)- so what is my best bet at learning at mumble mumble years old? any advice welcomed.
doodles

Re: Learning chess as an adult

Post by doodles »

Pretty sure you can learn online - try a well known search engine.

I myself play scrabble online which sounds sad but is actually a great deal of fun. :oops:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

An App maybe?? You could keep it secret until you are good enough to beat DH. ;-)
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I learnt at 42! If i can do it then anyone can (as I have a terrible memory!). Hubby also tried to teach me the basics but ended in near divorce - found a basic chess set and book for kids and went from there. My ds (7) and I play together now and are fairly evenly matched. You can practice against a computer program too. Almost ready to take on dh now! :)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I love online Scrabble!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pheasantchick wrote:I love online Scrabble!
I need another time-waster like I need a hole in the head, but a link would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking for a decent version for a while.

Please PM me if it is a commercial site, i.e. profit-making. I will post the link if I think we could still recommend it on here.

Thank you!
2littleboysmum

Post by 2littleboysmum »

Thanks for the advice, I did have a quick google search last night, and already feel I can put my previous attempt behind me and actually learn to play chess. Also looked on Amazon- a mind blowing number of teach yourself chess books. As Nike would say I'm going to just do it!
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS has an electronic chess set that I bought quite cheaply some years ago. You can play at different levels against it - it tells you where to move it's pieces and beeps at you if you make a wrong move.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS has chess on his DS! If you see what I mean :D
scary mum
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

DH plays chess on his iPad, I think that's what he uses it for most. I bought a game for DDs consisting of a chess set and cards that tell you where to move, called something like No Stress Chess. They never took to the game much but DH did teach them the rudiments.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now