Is it possible to go from a 4c to a 5c/b in one year?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Is it possible to go from a 4c to a 5c/b in one year?

Post by fatbananas »

I met with DSs math's teacher yesterday who put him at a 4c. He also said DS lacked confidence and was therefore slow.

I know DC ought to be around the level 5 mark when taking the 11+, to be in with a chance of success. Does anyone think that a whole level/ level and a half is possible between now and next September? :(
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
fairyelephant

Re: Is it possible to go from a 4c to a 5c/b in one year?

Post by fairyelephant »

Yes I do. They are expected to improve by 2 sub levels a year I believe and an extra sub level on top is not beyond the bounds of possiblity, especially if you are giving them a little extra help.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

maybe do some work to help him gain confidence...

tables games, online maths games, cards ( 21/pontoon etc), countdown practise the basics. It can make a huge difference to results when they have confidence in their ability
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you for responding, Fairyelephant and Yoyo :) .

I think I can hardly believe that year 5 is nearly upon us. I see that blooming rollercoaster looming before us. :roll:

Anyone else got any success stories of a huge leap in SATS levels? :)
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

fatbananas wrote:Thank you for responding, Fairyelephant and Yoyo :) .

I think I can hardly believe that year 5 is nearly upon us. I see that blooming rollercoaster looming before us. :roll:

Anyone else got any success stories of a huge leap in SATS levels? :)
Hi FB,

My youngest was never considered very good at maths at primary.....I walkways thought he had a " mathematical" brain but lacked confidence and some of the basics.....in year 5 he was a level 4b. He left primary with a level 6 - I know its not a ' real' level 6 - but now in year 7 he has just done his exam ( end of year) and is a level 7b - only 3 marks off an 7a and is nearly top of year.

What changed? Just doing ten minutes basics regularly and he got into some ' fun ' maths books like the number devil and also number games....... He also just seemed to mature and suddenly it all clicked. He loves maths now. I never, ever would have seen that coming!

So, FB, don't despair - get back to some of the basics and little bits fun practice - only a few mins a day and see how he unfolds...there is plenty of time to go up 3 sub levels....... :D
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hi FB,

Why not try the level 4/5 maths books - that way you can see exactly where he is and in particular which topics within the levels that he finds tricky.

I have the level 5 book (which DD is not at!) but hoping that during the summer we start looking at these books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KS2-Maths-Quest ... el+5+maths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Achieve-Maths-P ... el+5+maths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps
SH
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I like the Schofield and Sims books. Each page of questions is divided in to three sections.

1) numerical questions - 1+2 =

2) basic problems - Harry gives liz one orange and William gives her two. How many oranges does Lizzy have?

3) more complex, often two part questions - Fred has three large cakes, and Wilma has six. Each cake can be divided into eight pieces. They need to feed 80 people. How many cakes will Thelma need to bring?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you neveragain*: that's just the sort of story I wanted to hear!! Funnily enough, DS read the number devil about a year ago and loves that book. I'm going to have to get organised and then I might feel a little more in control of the situation.

Thanks Sleepyhead and Pheasantchick: I have all those books! Will incorporate them into my new regime :twisted:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi Bananas...hope all is okay with you. Both my boys improved in leaps and bounds during year 5, probably because of all the extra work. I think with maths, it's just practice once the topics are understood....after each year it is the same old thing, just a bit more complicated. I found the Letts 11 plus book was really good for working through each topic and dd doesn't seem to mind the Bond maths. Maybe start off on an easier book to make him think he is a maths whizz and slowly build up. I found the best thing was to find a book which explains how to do percentages for example, have a few questions you can work through together and then a little test. This is best achieved relaxing somewhere...just remember if it involves you drinking wine, hide the answer sheets....but somewhere you can find them. :D :oops:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Scarlett. I'm sure you're right about little and often. In fact, he did Bond 9-10 paper 11 this evening and it went really well (whereas paper 10 had been dire), so perhaps it will be ok :? :? I think I'm feeling a bit out of control of everything at the moment, but I need to pull myself together and come up with a strategy! :roll:

Talking of little and often, perhaps I need to put in a 'Year 5' order with Majestic. Surely if I buy in bulk, it will be cheaper? Then I'll know that the test answers will be on top of that ever decreasing stack of boxes in the corner of the kitchen ...