French/German

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ahap

French/German

Post by ahap »

Is 4 hrs of French better in yr8 than 2hrs of French and 2 hrs of German in yr8.
OR
4 hrs of French in yr8 and to include German in yr9 better?

Thanks.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Amber

Re: French/German

Post by Amber »

The earlier you start learning a language the better. I would go for 2 of each in Year 8 over the second option - would that be 2 of each in Year 9?
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thanks Amber. I am not sure about the hrs in yr9. DS is doing French at the moment and he is doing mini tests on it every week. The tutor has to assess him and decide what DS does from next year and I have to sign if I am happy with it. Thanks again.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
KB

Post by KB »

Probably depends if DC has a flair for languages and whether French is compulsory at GCSE.

If they have a talent and so and might want to take German as well as French at GCSE then getting going sooner seems beneficial but if they find French difficult and have to take it to GCSE then I would avoid German as long as possible!

If they can opt for German instead of French at GCSE and don't much enjoy French then it might be worth trying German as some children find it easier due to different construction and harder sounds.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thanks KB, I was told an MFL is compulsory for GCSEs. Spanish, French or German. Some do 2.
Decisions, decisions, decisions whether to learn one language for the GCSEs or to learn the languages on offer for the love of learning new languages. :?
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have one who hates French and loves German. I found French harder to learn than German too. I think at such a young age they are better off having the experience of learning more than one - the GCSE course is 2 years long and it won't make much difference if your son has done one year or two before this - the school will be geared up for the pace and my son who has done one year of German has got to a really good standard in that time and will be in a GCSE group with others who have done it for longer.

Personally (linguist's hat on, I admit) this to me is a very easy decision. Go for it!
ahap

Post by ahap »

DS is going to go for German as well in yr 8/9. You both have made our decision quick and easy. I appreciate it.
Reasons for the decisions-
DS is alright in French
DS wants to learn German.
Doubts were cleared about the language course.
:D