Chelmsford for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pushymother

Chelmsford for girls

Post by pushymother »

Hello experienced parents,

I took my daughter to the CCHS open day. We sat through the head teacher talk and I must admit I found it intimidating. My DD is in the top sets but is very young (end of July) and a bit of a dreamer...always away with the fairies.

Would a girl that is above average but not a genius be happy there? Does anyone know of any non-geniuses attending that are happy and doing well? :lol:

We were going to move in catchment for Southend until CCHS converted to CEM which does age weighting and gives DD a second chance if she has an off day on one of the Saturdays....

I look forward to hearing your experiences.
Oneofeach

Re: Chelmsford for girls

Post by Oneofeach »

Hello,

I know how you feel. My daughter is an end of August birthday but was always top of her (very small) class at primary. I had doubts about whether she would be better being one of the brightest at a comp or just one of the crowd at CCHS. And I too found the Head intimidating (and still do!). However she did very well in 11+ and is now in year 7 and is coping admirably. Not top of the class but certainly near the top for some subjects and well above middle for most. Most importantly for us she has found some like minded friends and is happy there. She never really clicked with the other girls at primary.

You have the benefit of getting the test results before you apply (unlike us a couple of years ago) so you will be able to make an informed choice.

Don't let the head put you off. The other teachers are much more approachable and we have been very happy with our choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I found the head very sweet and jovial as well. Don't worry, let your DD do the test, if she passes then apply.
Last edited by ahap on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
andyp2012

Post by andyp2012 »

Hi all

My eldest daughter attends CCHS and is currently in year 8 (definitely away with the fairies too!) and her sister joins her in September.

Our experience of the school so far has been fantastic. Both my DD's have gone through primary as top of class and if anything were not being challenged enough. My eldest absolutely loves CCHS and whilst she is probably no longer 'top of the class' she is learning at a fantastic rate. The opportunities they get at CCHS are amazing and it really feels like a girls club. They are very careful to manage the girls performance without creating a 'top of Class' mentality. They seem to take the view that if they are there then they are all bright and will all achieve.

The Head does have an air of authority which I think is good but can she how this could be interpreted as being intimidating. From my experience I am happy to assure you that this is far from the intention and both the Head and the senior team at CCHS are some of the most pleasant and capable people I have met. In addition to that the girls all respect the Head.

I also firmly agree with Oneofeach in that my eldest has made some lovely friends with like minded girls and they all enjoy school together. She used to have issues with some of the lads at her old school sniping at her for being bright.

I too was a little concerned as to how she would cope with being with such bright kids but the school is very good at imbedding them into school life very quickly.

Have just finished reading the eldests year 8 end of year report and could not be happier with progress. Younger DD itching to start in September having already done a number of induction events and meetings.

A definite 10/10 from me.

Good luck and give it a go. She will love it!
moved

Post by moved »

DD and her friends are a variety of ages and abilities. Effort is recognised as strongly as attainment. She is finishing yr 10 and we thought she would have been towards the bottom before she started, but that has never been the case. Give it a go; if they can pass the test, they will thrive there.

If you are willing to move then Rayleigh is in the catchment for Southend and Chelmsford.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Thank you for all of your replies.

We have been looking in Rayleigh, but the properties/area near the station doesn't thrill us. I found some lovely properties in Chelmsford on right move though... :wink:

I know in my heart that moving to have access to both grammar systems is the best plan, even though I would love to move to Chelmsford, I don't want to put all our eggs in one basket.

Next problem is trying to be in catchment of a good comp down there as the plan C!!!!!!!
moved

Post by moved »

Best town for a good comp has to be Chelmsford.
andyp2012

Post by andyp2012 »

We live in the Wickford area which is in catchment for CCHS.

Whilst just out of catchment for the Wetscliffe and Southend schools I know of a lot of children travelling from Wickford to both schools.

Good bus routes to all schools and train is a good option too. DD's go by train to Chelmsford which is Wickford to Shenfield and change back up to Chelmsford. Takes about 50 mins door to door.

Plus property prices not as high as Rayleigh / Southend or Chelmsford and only 35 mins into Liverpool street if you work in london. Can drive to School in about 20 mins if necessary. I reckon Wickford is an Essex secret!

Local comps not great but if you live the right side of town Sweyne Park is a good option.
KM

Post by KM »

Dd has just finished Y11. Most of the girls are non-geniuses - they are just bright girls. There are a few that are exceptionally bright but some parents who don't have experience of the school may have the perception that all the girls are scarily bright. I think that most girls who are in the top few in their primary schools would fit in very nicely.

Don't be intimidated by the school - we have always found it to be a friendly and welcoming place even though I too worried before dd started that she wouldn't be bright enough.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

KM thanks for those comments - I always worry that my little daydreaming dd might not be bright enough compared to the other girls there. She really wants to go there - not that it makes her concentrate more though :roll: I am just praying that we are doing enough for the CEM. :shock:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now