Tips for Induction day

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Tips for Induction day

Post by DIY Mum »

Hello all,

Perhaps because it is a really busy week next week, for whatever reason: dc quintus starts his new primary school on Monday, he's also sitting an 11+ exam on Tuesday, :shock: meeting his new Y6 teacher on Wednesday ...there's also, dd2, who shall be going to her new secondary school (induction day), next week... 8) but also, on Wednesday, 3rd of July, for the first time since I've qualified as a teacher, I shall be meeting my new Y1 class, yay! :D ...and whilst I'm positively thrilled and excited about it all, I am in need of some tips from experienced teachers who have been through this process before. But also, any suggestions and comments from dp on what their dc liked about the day (moving up from Reception to Y1) would also be welcomed.

For
Yoyo123, Moved...I'm considering asking dc to draw self portrait and mounting them upon the wall for our classroom flag which will be on display in September (as a class, we stick together). Any ideas you'd recommend or could share would be really appreciated. :) .

Thanks in advance.

DIY Mum
neveragain*

Re: Tips for Induction day

Post by neveragain* »

ooh good luck DIY mum, have a fabulous first day! No advice to offer bar be yourself and have a good time x
Amber

Post by Amber »

I did self portraits on my first day as a Reception teacher back in the dark ages. It turned out to be very interesting as there were many different nationalities in the class - but they all painted themselves white. So soon after we did a painting exercise where we all tried to mix our own skin colour from paint - it was great then as we had 24 different colours mixed up, kids with blobs of paint all up their arms (nice small class eh?) and the portraits were amazing. After that, when the children drew or painted themselves they always tried to make their skin look the right colour. When the LEA rep came to sign me off (it was my probationary year - olden days terminology) she wrote a glowing report about the standard of art work and also the great inclusive multicultural (it was in the days before that was a dirty word) atmosphere in the group.

So, yes, self portraits always good...and my only tip would be not to always assume the good little girls with the neat writing are the 'best'. But I'm sure you won't do that anyway as you're a Mum too. :D

Good luck.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Good luck DIYMum! My DC once did a "passport to year x" on induction day, I think it's quite a common idea, where they have to make a passport and fill in a description of themselves (physical traits, likes and dislikes etc) could be useful, or at least amusing!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

It seems that management are thinking along the same lines: self portraits and dc filling information about themselves too. Thanks, everyone! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now