GL papers to do during summer holiday

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sweethome

GL papers to do during summer holiday

Post by sweethome »

i have the 8 GL assessment papers that i plan to do with my dd during summer holiday for Sept Kent test. currently we are using the bond online practise package. can anyone please tell me other tests similar to GL ones that I can use because the 8 packs wont last too long.
i personally feel that the bond questions are not as hard as GL ones. anyone fees the same? my freind's son told me that he felt the actual kent test were harder than GL papers. I just worry that the Bond practice is not the same level as the actual Kent test.
doodles

Re: GL papers to do during summer holiday

Post by doodles »

I p/copied the answer sheets :oops: so he did each paper more than once.
mystery

Post by mystery »

8 papers in each of three subjects = 24 papers. Do them all twice means 48 papers. At one per day this would take more than 6 weeks. Assuming your child does not get 100% in the first sitting there is then some follow up work after the first sitting to cover the weaker areas the paper has thrown up. There's also exam technique to practise.

There doesn't seem much point in practising easier papers. I don't know if there's much point in practising NVR and VR from another publisher as the question types won't be exactly the same ... but fish around on here in the VR and NVR section for advice on publishers that do practice papers that coincide with the GL assessment question types and are harder.

Maths - there's so much stuff around if you want to go harder. Not much sure if there's much point though. Are you going for a Kent school which requires a "plain pass" or one which needs superselective score?
sweethome

Post by sweethome »

the school is a " selective" one in east kent.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Eh?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What is the format of the exam you are going to be sitting? Do you need to do any writing or is it just English Comprehension? I am not personally a fan of Bond. In our area I don't know anyone who managed to get a state selective place just using Bond as because everyone is using Bond everyone gets those marks. The advantage for those who have used other publishers is that they may know things that were part of those papers. I would use IPS, The Tutors and Alpha and save the GL papers to just before your exam if you are doing a GL exam. I am very impressed by the new First Past the Post papers that have been introduced by this forum. Also the new CGP papers are very good. DG
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Kent test for this yeasr does not include an English paper, just a piece of writing which is looked at if mark is borderline
sweethome

Post by sweethome »

daogroupie,
can I ask which area you are at? does the grammar school in your area use kent 11+ test ? as mentioned by yoyo, in our area (east kent), english paper is not looked at untill appeal. thanks for your advice, I guess it may be a bit late to start using other books. my friend's children mainly us bond for 11+. so finges crossed, with bond and GL, my DD will pass this year too.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Does your kent grammar require a straight pass or a high score? You confused me saying it was selective! Of course it is selective as you are asking about kent 11plus.

I don't think you can do much better than use all the gl assessment papers really well in the next three months, and practice a variety of maths.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Daogroupie wrote:What is the format of the exam you are going to be sitting? Do you need to do any writing or is it just English Comprehension? I am not personally a fan of Bond. In our area I don't know anyone who managed to get a state selective place just using Bond as because everyone is using Bond everyone gets those marks. The advantage for those who have used other publishers is that they may know things that were part of those papers. I would use IPS, The Tutors and Alpha and save the GL papers to just before your exam if you are doing a GL exam. I am very impressed by the new First Past the Post papers that have been introduced by this forum. Also the new CGP papers are very good. DG

It really is not like that round here. I know people who did nothing and passed. Gl assessment practice papers are the closest to the real thing you will get here as this year it is set by gl assessment - possibly for the last time.

Bond is useful to provide a leg up to doing the practice papers, but is not so like the real thing.

If you want very high marks in kent for a superselective then there are some more tricks, but even the raw score for the superselectives is not high. In kent a very generous proportion of children get grammar places.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now