Induction Day tomorrow!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Induction Day tomorrow!

Post by ginx »

My daughter's very excited about tomorrow, induction day at the gs. I hope she likes it as she's only just realised (taken her a few months) to realise that most of her friends, and both her best friends, are going to the comp.

I'm nervous for her. My ds2 starts junior school too, but that feels very unimportant by comparison. It possibly isn't to him, though - it's hard to say, he's pretty confident and going with all of his class, and he's used to going there.

Hope everyone in Warwickshire enjoys their new school - I really don't want anyone to have a bad experience and not look forward to their new schools in September.
Brum Mum

Re: Induction Day tomorrow!

Post by Brum Mum »

I hope she has a lovely day and makes lots of new friends!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Good luck 'Little Ginx'. Have a lovely day today! X
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm sad and glad she's gone - she was a little nervous but went with a friend which helped. She didn't even turn round to wave goodbye!

One big advantage of the gs over the comp is size - they just went straight in - I remember with my older two being overwhelmed by the number of children - about 250. I really think it is the right school for her.

My daughter is really shallow; she didn't mention looking forward to making new friends (she was planning to cling to one from her junior school). She was just looking forward to having a muffin at break, and a cooked lunch! Honestly!

I hope she does like the girls in her class, or what she sees of them today. I can't wait till she comes home, it's going to be a long day for me. Especially with ds2 in junior school today. He'll be fine, I think.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

How did it go? Did 'Little Ginx' have a good time?
ginx

Post by ginx »

Brum Mum,

Thanks for asking, "little ginx" had a very good time. They had to work! I suppose start as you mean to go on. She is in a class with five others from her school, not her best friends but at least girls she knows.

She liked the teachers, enjoyed some of the subjects (she did Latin, Philosophy, Spanish, Science, English and Drama) and even told us what she did which is a good start. She liked the girls in her class and seems to have made one "new" friend already.

Girls have year 10 buddies, and spent some of the day trying to get to know their new classmates.

I was pleased to see on her class list quite a few names of girls with Eastern European, Indian and African backgrounds, I want her to get used to mixing with girls from different cultures - especially as it's all girls. I exam invigilate at her school and couldn't help noticing girls in year 11 now are predominantly white middle-class girls. So I'm pleased about that.

I thought it was nice that the school gave them muffins mid-morning.

We had a talk from the head mistress who seemed very friendly (I had thought she might be a bit stuffy!) but the work, work, work ethic was present in virtually everything she said. My daughter was very tired at the end of the day, but had enjoyed the school lunch :roll: and coped with her diabetes very well. The pastoral care lady had spoken to her to check she was ok at lunch time, this lady is lovely.

little ginx loved it, I'm just a bit worried she'll be able to cope with the work. They have a reading list for the holidays and she has to keep a reading log. Not having done any work since her Sats in May, I'm a little worried she's forgotten how to work! It was interesting comparing the induction day at the comp (I have two children there and am happy with it) but it was very different. The girls did art and had lots of spare time, no lessons. Very different. Her best friends are there, I'm determined they are going to stay in touch - we all live in the same village so it be ok.

Oh well, she can't complain of being bored in the holidays. She has a long reading list. Fortunately she likes reading, but keeping a log will be interesting for her. :) Thanks for asking.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Sounds like a fantastic day!

In respect of the 'work, work, work' thing - she'll soon get back into the pace of things and maybe having had such a nice break from it all she'll be raring to go...

The reading log will be a nice way to get back into structured learning time, but on a less intensive basis - love the idea. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now