Sausages And Everything Else BBQ

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Sausages And Everything Else BBQ

Post by doodles »

Does anybody know where I can buy Merguez sausages. I've googled and come up with ASDA but we don't have an ASDA near us and I don't fancy ordering them on line and having them delivered - any ideas?
Amber

Re: Sausages And Everything Else BBQ

Post by Amber »

I had to google this, doodles - it sparked my curiosity and spared me the tennis. It seems you could make your own by stuffing mutton, fat (unspecified) and some spices into a lamb's intestine casing. Lots of recipes online :D .

Apparently it's also French police slang for a car which has been modified 'to enhance its suitability for use in crimes'.

I'm sure there is a joke there but I can't see it at the moment.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Calais??

Easy for me to say, who can see France from her window!

Sainsbury's?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Are there people any use?
http://www.rooksonline.co.uk/category/c8-sausages/p2/

They seem to have several shops as well as online ordering.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

yoyo123 wrote:Calais??

Easy for me to say, who can see France from her window!?
Might make the cost per sausage a little prohibitive :lol:
modernista

Post by modernista »

I did buy some North African sausages from Morrisons some time back. Didn't like them because they were sweet. Prefer the 'chorizo/ spanish style' paprika ones. Waitrose are also doing a new bbq range.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Merguez sorted, local butcher is getting me some; should have trusted local shops in the first place :oops: :oops:
Amber

Post by Amber »

doodles wrote:Merguez sorted, local butcher is getting me some; should have trusted local shops in the first place :oops: :oops:
Pictures doodles' butcher stuffing mutton and fat into lamb intestines. :lol:

Agree local butchers usually the best - use them or lose them and we will all be the poorer I say.

Enjoy them doodles - it's certainly BBQ weather so making the most of it here too.

(and if anyone has any vegetarian recipes which don't involve soya mince or things disguised as burgers or sausages I would be interested - don't want to hijack the thread but starting a separate one seems daft. I like courgettes and aubergines done on it; and don't mind a bit of advance prep).
doodles

Post by doodles »

The butcher is also doing me a butterflied shoulder of lamb which I am going to marinate in lemon juice, garlic and olive oil - well it is Bastille weekend and the whole reason we are having this BBQ is that DH is a confirmed Francophile :roll: :roll:

Actually the Merguez and a decent piece of lamb from the butcher is going to work out cheaper than going to the supermarket and buying lots of bits and pieces to cook. I normally use the butcher weekly so why I didn't think of him in the first place is beyond me :oops: :oops:

I have a veggie son Amber so am up for some veggie recipes too.

We BBQ fish for him as he does eat this occasionally and Quorn do some rather nice (apparently) sticky fillets which he really likes. Otherwise for him we do stuffed mushrooms, haloumi marinated in olive oil, garlic and lemon, and vegetable kebabs using courgettes, aubergines, tomatoes, peppers and onions and sometimes add bits of haloumi to them too.

With veggie food for the BBQ I find marinating for a couple of hours is the key otherwise things either cook too quickly and end up cremated or go like cardboard.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

For veggies you can make quesadillas. Two soft tortilla wraps with veg, cheese, spinach, spices or whatever you fancy in between - like a sandwich. Plenty of cheese so they stick together and then just very quickly on the BBQ. Lovely with salsa and sour cream.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now